The Ottawa Heart Institute is pleased to offer a fellowship in Advanced Heart Failure and Transplantation. This 1-2 year program, offered within the Division of Cardiology at the University of Ottawa, is designed to provide senior fellows the skills required in the evaluation and management of patients with advanced refractory heart failure.
The Ottawa Heart Institute is a large tertiary referral centre performing 20-25 heart transplants per year with an active LVAD program. Fellows will be exposed to both out-patient and in-patient settings and gain experience in complex management strategies including: advanced medical therapy, inotropic therapy, ICD/cardiac resynchronization, high risk surgery, cardiac transplantation, mechanical circulatory support, and end of life care.
The training program will include:
- service on an in-patient heart failure unit
- longitudinal outpatient specialty clinics (ie: heart function, sarcoid, cardio-oncology, transplant, pulmonary hypertension)
- pre/post transplant evaluation and care
- performing endomyocardial biopsies and right heart catheterizations
- LVAD/cardiac surgery rotation
- lectures on transplant medicine, immunology, pathology
- weekly transplant selection rounds
- weekly heart failure rounds
- monthly journal club
- attendance at a national/international heart failure meeting
Fellows will also be expected to:
- actively participate in the education of cardiology/internal medicine residents and medical students as it relates to heart failure
- participate in research under the supervision of heart failure investigators
Fellowships that combine Heart Failure training with another cardiology specialty may be considered on an individual basis depending upon availability and timing for the other program.
Applications are being accepted for the 2016-2017 academic year. One fully funded position is currently available. It is anticipated that candidates will have completed their core cardiology training (RCPSC or equivalent) and be eligible for an Ontario medical license.
Interested fellows should submit their cover letter, CV and 3 reference letters to: Dr. Ellamae Stadnick at firstname.lastname@example.org, Fellowship Coordinator.