The outpatient Valve Surgery Clinic does follow-ups of patients who have had heart valve repair or replacement at the Ottawa Heart Institute. The clinic is under the direct supervision of a cardiac surgeon with expertise in heart valve surgery.
The Valve Surgery Clinic has been an integral part of the Heart Institute for more than 25 years. With the increasing volume of valve surgeries over the past two decades, our patient population has grown to more than 10,000, with the addition of approximately 750 new valve patients every year.
Our services include:
- Yearly phone follow-ups for our patients
- Complete post-operative clinical assessment with emphasis on the cardiovascular system and valve-related issues (anticoagulation, valve durability, thromboembolic complications, and infection)
- Evaluation of heart function through echocardiogram
- Referral service to other specialists for evaluation and treatment of new medical problems
- Identification of patients requiring a re-evaluation of their valve condition.
To continually improve care for our patients, we systematically collect post-operative clinical information so we can better understand the various challenges our patients face after surgery. The information gathered covers your history of hospital readmissions, functional status, medications, anticoagulation protocol, and findings from complete cardiovascular examinations. Laboratory test results and echocardiographic data are also collected.
What to Expect
If you have been referred to the Valve Surgery Clinic, you will be contacted by one of the clinic staff.
Ensure that your contact information is current. If your address or phone number changes, please let the clinic know.