The University of Ottawa Heart Institute invites you to participate in the Cardiac Nursing Series. The series has been developed to provide up-to-date information for nurses and health care professionals who wish to develop an understanding of or review the care and management of patients with acute and chronic cardiac conditions.
Starting in September 2016 and finishing in March 2017, this five-day program is open to all health care professionals in the Champlain region. See the schedule below.
All classes will be held in the Foustanellas Auditorium on the second floor of the Heart Institute from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Lunch is not provided. Parking for a fee is available directly opposite the Heart Institute on Ruskin Avenue.
- Registration with payment by credit card for Heart Institute/TOH Staff - $25 per day
- Registration with payment by credit card for External Staff - $50 per day
Please note the following:
- Registration is limited.
- Class may be cancelled due to low registration.
- Registration and payment must be received one week prior to class.
- Due to strict space limitations, registration must be accompanied with payment.
- No refunds for missed classes, but a substitute may attend in your place.
Tuesday September 27, 2016
Cardiac Assessment and Diagnostics
A review of cardiovascular anatomy, physiology and assessment. Join our cardiac pathologist in a close up review of cardiac vasculature. Common diagnostic cardiac testing is reviewed.
Tuesday November 22, 2016
Basic Arrhythmia Interpretation for Beginners
Never seen a P wave? Always wondered what that QRS really is? This class is intended for you! Day starts with a basic discussion of the ECG complex and progresses through to interpretation and treatment options for arrhythmias.
Tuesday January 24, 2017
Acute Coronary Syndrome and 12-Lead ECG Interpretation
- Acute Coronary Syndrome: Review the pathophysiology, assessment, diagnosis and management of ACS.
- 12-Lead ECG Interpretation: Develop an understanding of lead placement and formation of a 12 lead ECG, ischemic changes, axis determination, and bundle branch block. Case studies reviewed. An existing understanding of rhythm analysis is helpful prior to doing this day.
Tuesday February 21, 2017
Electrophysiology, Pacemakers and Defibrillators
A look at the amazing world of cardiac electro-physiology including a brief review of arrhythmias that EP deals with. A review of treatment for abnormal cardiac conduction including pacemakers, ICD’s and ablations.
Tuesday March 21, 2017
Heart Failure, Cardiac Assist Devices and Cardiac Surgery
Pathophysiology, assessment and treatment of heart failure are reviewed. Also learn about cardiac assist devices, cardiac surgery and transplantation.