The University of Ottawa Heart Institute invites you to participate in the Cardiac Nursing Series. The series has been developed to provide up to date information for nurses and health care professionals who wish to develop an understanding or review the care and management of patients with acute and chronic cardiac conditions.
Starting in September 2017 and finishing in March 2018, this 5 session program is open to all health care professionals in the region.
- All classes will be held in the Foustanellas Centre Auditorium on the second floor of the Heart Institute from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Lunch is not provided.
- Parking for a fee is available directly opposite the Heart Institute on Ruskin Avenue.
- For Heart Institute/TOH staff ($25.00 per day): Register »
- For external staff ($50.00 per day): Register »
- Registration is limited by room size.
- Class may be cancelled due to low registration
- Registration must be received one week prior to class.
- No refunds for missed classes, but a substitute may attend in your place
For further inquires, contact Kara Murfitt at email@example.com.
Tuesday September 19, 2017
Cardiac Assessment and Diagnostics
A review of cardiovascular anatomy, physiology and assessment. Join our cardiac pathologist in a close up review of cardiac vasculature. Common diagnostic cardiac testing is reviewed.
Tuesday November 21, 2017
Basic Arrhythmia Interpretation for BeginnersNever seen a P wave? Always wondered what that QRS really is? This class is intended for you! Day starts with a basic discussion of the ECG complex and progresses through to interpretation and treatment options for arrhythmias.
Tuesday January 23, 2018
Acute Coronary Syndrome and 12-Lead ECG Interpretation
- Acute Coronary Syndrome: Review the pathophysiology, assessment, diagnosis and management of ACS. A brief look at SCAD (Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection) is included.
- 12-Lead ECG Interpretation: Develop an understanding of lead placement and formation of a 12 lead ECG, ischemic changes, and bundle branch block. Case studies reviewed. An existing understanding of rhythm analysis is helpful prior to doing this day.
Tuesday February 20, 2018
A virtual tour of the cardiac procedure world: the Cardiac O.R. including invasive and minimally invasive procedures, a stop in the Electrophysiology lab, and finally a visit to the hybrid O.R. for TAVIs and MitraClips.
Tuesday March 20, 2018 CANCELLED
Heart Failure, Cardiac Assist Devices
Pathophysiology, assessment and treatment of heart failure are reviewed. Also learn about cardiac assist devices and transplantation. Included is a brief look at Pulmonary Artery Hypertension and Broken Heart Syndrome (Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy).