The following checklist will help you prepare for your admission:
Before your admission:
- Fill out the medication list to bring with you, along with all of your medications in their original containers.
The evening before your booked procedure:
- Between 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., we will call you and tell you what time to come to the Heart Institute.
- If you do not hear from us by 9:00 p.m., please call the Day Unit at 613-696-7000 x 14770.
On the day of your admission:
- Do not take any medications the morning of the procedure unless you have been informed otherwise.
- Do not eat or drink from midnight onward before your procedure.
- Remove all nail polish. Do not wear any makeup.
Make sure you bring the following items with you to the Heart Institute:
- Your health card
- All of your medications - in their original pharmacy containers
- Make sure you tell us about any allergies you have
- The name and phone number of your emergency contact person
Leave these items at home:
- All of your valuables (including money, jewellery, iPads, tablet or laptop computers, etc). The Heart Institute cannot be responsible for any loss or damage to your personal belongings.
Plan for your discharge:
- Make transportation arrangements. You cannot drive yourself home.
- For your first night home from the hospital, arrange for someone to stay overnight with you.
- If you live a long way from the Heart Institute, check with the Waitlist Management office at 613-696-7063 to see whether you should stay close to the hospital the night of discharge. If so, make advance arrangements for accommodations.
Remember: Do not eat or drink after midnight before your procedure, unless otherwise informed.
If you are unable to keep the scheduled date for your ICD implant, please notify the Wait List Management Office as soon as possible at 613-696-7063.
Sometimes there are sudden changes in scheduling which may result in your procedure being delayed. If this happens, we will let you know as soon as possible.