Developed and powered by the Ottawa Heart Institute, the Get with the Guidelines initiative seeks to develop a regionalized approach for secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD), and according to evidence-based practice guidelines in patients admitted to hospitals across the region.
Today, the Heart Institute is proud to announce the successful implementation of best practices in the treatment of Heart Failure, Acute Coronary Syndrome, and Smoking Cessation by Cornwall Hospital. Cornwall Hospital is being recognized for its leadership in providing all of the essential medical, administrative, and health records support as well as submitting all data to the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) in order to capture vital information and share its learning.
Through this program, the Heart Institute supports regional hospitals by:
- providing the required educational material and support to physicians and hospital staff, including health records;
- providing a comprehensive implementation toolkit;
- providing website access to site team members which includes a scorecard of partners progress;
- monitoring tool usage and ensuring that the tools are properly completed
- Using the CIHI discharge abstract database to identify quality assurance issues locally and regionally and a quality improvement plan developed with each hospital to ensure regional 2 and 5 year targets are reached.
“Over this entire process, Cornwall Hospital has shown tremendous leadership and commitment in ensuring the implementation of a solid approach that will empower its patients to be more involved with the care they receive,” said Dr. Thierry Mesana, President and CEO of the Heart Institute.
“We are thankful for this recognition of our staff and the processes they have developed and implemented to support this important program,” said Jeanette Despatie, President and CEO of Cornwall Hospital. “Our staff welcome the opportunity to be part of this collaboration which will improve how we care for our patients.”
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute is the only independent provider of specialized cardiovascular care for the Champlain Local Health Integration Network, home to over 1.2 million people, and serves more than 40 referral hospitals throughout the province.