At the 2019 Canadian Cardiovascular Congress (CCC), members of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI) team were recognized by the Canadian Cardiovascular Society (CCS) for their achievements and contributions within the cardiovascular field.
Dr. Rob Beanlands was bestowed the 2019 CCS/CIHR-ICRH Distinguished Lecturer Award in Cardiovascular Sciences.
Dr. Ross Davies, awarded the Dr. Michael Freeman Canadian Nuclear and CT Imaging Annual Achievement Award.
Drs. Jodi Edwards, Thais Coutinho, Mouhannad Sadek, and Affiliate Researcher Dr. Krystina Lewis were presented with esteemed awards for their continuing research.
Dr. Ruth McPherson was recognized for her exceptional contributions to cardiovascular care and health.
Dr. Wenbin Liang was a runner-up for the CCS Young Investigator Award.
The CCS also appointed Cardiologist and Clinician Investigator Dr. Lisa Mielniczuk to a leadership role.
See below for more information:
- Dr. Rob Beanlands – 2019 CCS/CIHR-ICRH Distinguished Lecturer Award in Cardiovascular Sciences.
- Dr. Ross Davies – Dr. Michael Freeman Canadian Nuclear CT Imaging Annual Achievement Award.
- Drs. Jodi Edwards, Thais Coutinho, Mouhannad Sadek, and Krystina Lewis – Early Career Arrhythmia and Atrial Fibrillation Research Award.
- Dr. Ruth McPherson – Canadian Cardiovascular Society Research Achievement Award.
- Dr. Wenbin Liang – CCS Young Investigator Award (runner-up).
- Dr. Lisa Mielniczuk – Secretary-elect, Canadian Cardiovascular Society.
Three Heart Institute trainees were also recognized for their excellence in research at the 2019 Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. Dr. Mohammad Al-Khalaf, a postdoctoral research fellow, was awarded the Trainee Research Award in Basic Science; Dr. Kevin Boczar, a cardiology resident, placed second for the Trainee Research Award in Clinical Science; and Dr. Pietro Di Santo, also a cardiology resident, was awarded the CCS-Bayer Resident Vascular Award.
Congratulations to all awardees! A selection of photos from CCC have been added to the gallery below.