The following checklist will help you prepare for your admission:
BEFORE YOUR ADMISSION:
- Fill out the medication list included in this booklet to bring with you, along with all of your medications in their original pharmacy containers.
THE EVENING BEFORE YOUR BOOKED PROCEDURE:
- We will call you between 4:00 and 8:00 p.m. and tell you when to come to the Heart Institute.
- If you do not hear from us by 9:00 p.m., please call the Day Unit at 613-696-7000 x14770.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR ADMISSION:
- Do not take any medications the morning of the procedure unless you have been informed otherwise.
- Do not eat or drink from midnight onward before your procedure.
- Remove all nail polish and do not wear any makeup.
MAKE SURE YOU BRING THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WITH YOU TO THE HEART INSTITUTE:
- Your health card
- All of your medications in their original pharmacy containers
- Be sure to tell us about any allergies you have
- The name and phone number of your emergency contact person
LEAVE THESE ITEMS AT HOME:
- All of your valuables (including money, jewellery, mobile phones and other personal electronic devices). The Heart Institute is not responsible for the loss of or any damage to your personal belongings.
PLAN FOR YOUR DISCHARGE:
- Make transportation arrangements. You cannot drive yourself home.
- Arrange for someone to stay with you during your first night home from the hospital.
- If you live a long way from the Heart Institute, check with the Wait List Management Office at 613-696-7063 to see whether you should stay close to the hospital the night of your discharge. If so, you will need to make advance arrangements for accommodations.
If you are unable to keep the scheduled date for your pacemaker implant, please notify the Wait List Management Office at 613-696-7063.
Sometimes there are sudden changes in scheduling that may result in your procedure being delayed. If this happens, we will let you know as soon as possible.
Do not eat or drink after midnight before your procedure, unless you are told otherwise.