Cardiologist Thais Coutinho, MD, is Division Head of Prevention and Rehabilitation at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa. In addition, she is chair of the Heart Institute’s Canadian Women’s Heart Health Centre.
Dr. Coutinho received her MD from the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 2004. Shortly after, she moved to Rochester, Minnesota, USA to pursue training in Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Vascular Medicine, advanced Echocardiography and research at the Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Coutinho has had many presentations at national and international meetings and has published several peer-reviewed manuscripts in the field of Cardiovascular Diseases. She has received numerous awards, including the American Heart Association’s Young Investigator and Women in Cardiology Awards, the American College of Cardiology’s Young Investigator Award (2nd place), Mayo Clinic’s Summerskill Award for Research by a Fellow with a Clinical Appointment, and the Mayo Clinic’s Cardiovascular Division Outstanding Achievement Award.
She is board certified in Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Vascular Medicine and Echocardiography. She joined the Heart Institute in 2013.
Dr. Coutinho’s clinical and research interests centre upon arterial diseases, with special emphasis on the role of arterial stiffness and the aorta’s elastic properties on disease progression in patients with thoracic aorta aneurysms, and in the pathogenesis of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. In addition, she has an interest in peripheral arterial diseases, highlighting the role of an intensive risk factor management and walking rehabilitation program on patient’s overall health, exercise endurance and quality of life.
- Goel K, Lopez-Jimenez J, De Schutter A, Coutinho T , Lavie CJ. “Obesity Paradox – The Scope and Growing Evidence.” Invited review article for Future Cardiology. IN PRESS.
- Coutinho T , Goel, K, Correa de Sá D, Kragelund C; Kanaya A, Zeller M, Park JS, Kober L, Torp-Pedersen C, Cottin Y, Lorgis L, Lee SH, Kim YJ, Thomas R; Roger V, Somers V, Lopez-Jimenez F. Combining BMI with Measures of Central Obesity in the Assessment of Mortality in Subjects with Coronary Disease – The Role of “Normal Weight Central Obesity”. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;61(5):553-560.
- Coutinho T , Borlaug BA, Pellikka PA, Turner ST, Kullo IJ. Sex differences in arterial stiffness and ventricular-arterial interactions. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;61(1):96-103
- Coutinho T , Turner ST, Al-Omari M, Mosley T, Kullo IJ. Biomarkers of Left Ventricular Hypertrophy and Remodeling in Blacks. Hypertension 2011;58(5):920-5
- Coutinho T , Turner ST, Mosley T, Kullo IJ. Biomarkers Associated with Pulse Pressure in African-Americans and Non-Hispanic Whites. Am J Hypertens 2011; 25(2):145-51
- Correa de Sá D, Coutinho T , Sorajja P. Saphenous Vein Graft Aneurysm: An Unusual Case of Mediastinal Mass. Am Heart Hosp J. 2011; 9(1):E52-4.
- Coutinho T , Turner ST, Kullo IJ. Aortic Pulse Wave Velocity is Associated with Sub-clinical Measures of Target Organ Damage. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2011;4(7):754-61
- Coutinho T , Rooke T, Kullo IJ. Arterial Dysfunction as a Determinant of Functional Capacity in Patients with Peripheral Arterial Disease: A Review. Vasc Med. 2011; 16 (3):203-11
- Coutinho T , Goel, K, Correa de Sa D, Kragelund C; Kanaya A, Zeller M, Park JS, Kober L, Torp-Pedersen C, Cottin Y, Lorgis L, Lee SH, Kim YJ, Thomas R; Roger V, Somers V, Lopez-Jimenez F. Central Obesity and Survival in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: A Systematic Review of the Literature and Meta-analysis Utilizing Individual Subject Data. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;57(19):1877-86.
- Goel K, Thomas RJ, Squires RW, Coutinho T , Trejo-Gutierrez J, Somers VK, Miles JM, Lopez-Jimenez F. Joint effect of cardiorespiratory fitness and different measures of adiposity in patients with coronary artery disease. Am Heart J 2011;161(3):590-7.
- Coutinho T de A , Turner S, Kullo IJ. Serum uric acid is associated with microvascular function in hypertensive individuals. J Hum Hypertens 2007;21(8):610-5.
- Coutinho T de A , Turner ST, Peyser PA, Bielak LF, Sheedy PF II, Kullo IJ. Associations of serum uric acid with markers of inflammation, metabolic syndrome, and sub-clinical coronary atherosclerosis. Am J Hypertens 2007;20:83-89.
- Tsigrelis C, Singh KV, Coutinho TD , Murray BE, Baddour LM. Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus faecalis Endocarditis: Linezolid Failure and Strain Characterization of Virulence Factors. J Clin Microbiol. 45(2):631-5.2007