Cardiologist Thais Coutinho, MD, is Division Head of Prevention and Rehabilitation at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa. In addition, she is Chair of the Heart Institute’s Canadian Women’s Heart Health Centre.
Dr. Thais Coutinho received her medical degree from the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, in 2004, and completed residency and fellowship training in Internal Medicine, Cardiology, Vascular Medicine, advanced Echocardiography and Research at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, in 2013.
Upon graduating, Dr. Coutinho joined the University of Ottawa Heart Institute as a Clinician-Scientist. In 2017, she was appointed Chief of the Division of Prevention and Rehabilitation and Chair of the Canadian Women’s Heart Health Centre. She is also an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa.
Dr. Coutinho has addressed audiences at many national and international meetings, and has published several high impact manuscripts in the field of Cardiovascular Diseases. She served as Co-Chair of the first (2016) and second (2018) Canadian Women’s Heart Health Summit, the largest conference in the world dedicated exclusively to the cardiovascular health of women.
Dr. Coutinho has received numerous awards, including the American Heart Association’s Women in Cardiology Trainee (2010) and Young Investigator (2011) Awards, the American College of Cardiology’s Young Investigator Award (2nd place, 2012), the Mayo Clinic’s Summerskill Research Award and Cardiovascular Division Outstanding Achievement Award (2013), and the Canadian Cardiovascular Society’s Young Investigator Award (2015).
Dr. Coutinho’s research program focuses on arterial health, with a special emphasis on arterial stiffness and its role on the pathogenesis of cardiovascular diseases. She focuses on sex differences in arterial aging, and how it may help explain sex differences in cardiovascular diseases. To pursue these investigations, she holds several research grants, including an Early Research Leaders Grant and a Grant-in-Aid from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, as well as a Clinician Scientist Award from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario.
See current publications list at PubMed.
Full-length, peer-reviewed original articles
- Boczar KE, Coutinho T. Sex considerations in aneurysm formation, progression and outcomes. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2018 [in press].
- Prince SA, McDonnell LA, Turek MA, Visintini S, Nahwegahbow A, Kandasamy S, Sun LY, Coutinho T. The state of affairs for cardiovascular health research in Indigenous women in Canada: a scoping review. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2018 [in press].
- Coutinho T, Yam Y, Chow BJW, Dwivedi G, Inácio J,. Sex Differences in Associations of Arterial Compliance with Coronary Artery Plaque and Calcification Burden. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017 Aug 19;6(8) doi: 10.1161/JAHA.117.006079.
- McDonnell LA, Turek M, Coutinho T, Nerenberg K, de Margerie M, Perron S, Reid RD, Pipe AL. Women’s Heart Health: Knowledge, Beliefs, and Practices of Canadian Physicians. Journal of Women's Health 2017 Jun 12. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2016.6240. [Epub ahead of print]
- Prince SA, Comber L, Turek M, Ives S, Coutinho T, Pipe AL, Reid RD, McDonnell L. Charting the Course for Women's Heart Health in Canada: Recommendations from the First Canadian Women's Heart Health Summit. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2017;33(6):693-700.
- Cheung K, Boodhwani M, Chan KL, Beauchesne L, Dick A, Coutinho T. Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Growth: Role of Sex and Aneurysm Etiology. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017 Feb 3;6(2). pii: e003792.
- Srivaratharajah K, Coutinho T, deKemp R, Liu P, Haddad H, Stadnick E, Davies RA, Chih S, Dwivedi G, Guo A, Wells GA, Bernick J, Beanlands R, Mielniczuk LM. Reduced Myocardial Flow in Heart Failure Patients With Preserved Ejection Fraction. Circ Heart Fail. 2016 Jul;9(7). pii: e002562.
- Ong KC, Geske JB, Hebl VB, Nishimura RA, Schaff HV, Ackerman MJ, Klarich KW, Siontis KC, Coutinho T, Dearani JA, Ommen SR, Gersh BJ. Pulmonary hypertension is associated with worse survival in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016 Jun;17(6):604-10.
- Sharma S, Batsis JA, Coutinho T, Somers VK, Hodge DO, Carter RE, Sochor O, Kragelund C, Kanaya AM, Zeller M, Park JS, Køber L, Torp-Pedersen C, Lopez-Jimenez F. Normal-Weight Central Obesity and Mortality Risk in Older Adults With Coronary Artery Disease. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016 Mar;91(3):343-51.
- Sahakyan KR, Somers VK, Rodriguez-Escudero JP, Hodge DO, Carter RE, Sochor O, Coutinho T, Jensen MD, Roger VL, Singh P, Lopez-Jimenez F. Normal-Weight Central Obesity: Implications for Total and Cardiovascular Mortality. Ann Intern Med. 2015 Dec 1;163(11):827-35.
- Coutinho T, Pellikka PA, Bailey KR, Turner ST, Kullo IJ. Sex Differences in the Associations of Hemodynamic Load With Left Ventricular Hypertrophy and Concentric Remodeling. Am J Hypertens. 2016 Jan;29(1):73-80.
- Ye Z, Coutinho T, Pellikka PA, Villarraga HR, Borlaug BA, Kullo IJ. Associations of Alterations in Pulsatile Arterial Load With Left Ventricular Longitudinal Strain. Am J Hypertens. 2015 Nov;28(11):1325-31.
- Aljizeeri A, Coutinho T, Pen A, Chen L, Yam Y, Dent R, McPherson R, Chow BJ. Obesity and coronary artery calcification: Can it explain the obesity-paradox? Int J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015 Jun;31(5):1063-70.
- Luis SA, Coutinho T, Pellikka PA, Rihal CS, Pislaru SV. Management of coexistent multi-valvular prosthetic dysfunction: a unique approach. Eur Heart J. 2015 May 7;36(18):1077.
- Coutinho T. Arterial stiffness and its clinical implications in women. Can J Cardiol. 2014 Jul;30(7):756-64. Review.
- Coutinho T, Bailey KR, Turner ST, Kullo IJ. Arterial stiffness is associated with increase in blood pressure over time in treated hypertensives. J Am Soc Hypertens. 2014 Jun;8(6):414-21.
- Goel K, Lopez-Jimenez F, De Schutter A, Coutinho T, Lavie CJ. Obesity paradox in different populations: evidence and controversies. Future Cardiol. 2014 Jan;10(1):81-91. Review.
- Coutinho T, Goel K, Corrêa de Sá D, Carter RE, Hodge DO, Kragelund C, Kanaya AM, Zeller M, Park JS, Kober L, Torp-Pedersen C, Cottin Y, Lorgis L, Lee SH, Kim YJ, Thomas R, Roger VL, Somers VK, Lopez-Jimenez F. Combining body mass index with measures of central obesity in the assessment of mortality in subjects with coronary disease: role of "normal weight central obesity". J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Feb 5;61(5):553-60.
- Coutinho T, Borlaug BA, Pellikka PA, Turner ST, Kullo IJ. Sex differences in arterial stiffness and ventricular-arterial interactions. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Jan 8;61(1):96-103.
- Coutinho T, Turner ST, Mosley TH, Kullo IJ. Biomarkers associated with pulse pressure in African-Americans and non-Hispanic whites. Am J Hypertens. 2012 Feb;25(2):145-51.
- Coutinho T, Al-Omari M, Mosley TH Jr, Kullo IJ. Biomarkers of left ventricular hypertrophy and remodeling in blacks. Hypertension. 2011 Nov;58(5):920-5.
- Correa de Sa DD, Coutinho T, Sorajja P. Saphenous vein graft aneurysm-an unusual cause of mediastinal mass. Am Heart Hosp J. 2011 Summer;9(1):E52-4.
- Coutinho T, Turner ST, Kullo IJ. Aortic pulse wave velocity is associated with measures of subclinical target organ damage. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011 Jul;4(7):754-61.
- Coutinho T, Goel K, Corrêa de Sá D, Kragelund C, Kanaya AM, Zeller M, Park JS, Kober L, Torp-Pedersen C, Cottin Y, Lorgis L, Lee SH, Kim YJ, Thomas R, Roger VL, Somers VK, Lopez-Jimenez F. Central obesity and survival in subjects with coronary artery disease: a systematic review of the literature and collaborative analysis with individual subject data. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 May 10;57(19):1877-86. Review.
- Coutinho T, Rooke TW, Kullo IJ. Arterial dysfunction and functional performance in patients with peripheral artery disease: a review. Vasc Med. 2011 Jun;16(3):203-11. Review.
- Goel K, Thomas RJ, Squires RW, Coutinho T, Trejo-Gutierrez JF, Somers VK, Miles JM, Lopez-Jimenez F. Combined effect of cardiorespiratory fitness and adiposity on mortality in patients with coronary artery disease. Am Heart J. 2011 Mar;161(3):590-7.
- Coutinho T de A, Turner ST, Kullo IJ. Serum uric acid is associated with microvascular function in hypertensive individuals. J Hum Hypertens. 2007 Aug;21(8):610-5.
- Coutinho T de A, Turner ST, Peyser PA, Bielak LF, Sheedy PF 2nd, Kullo IJ. Associations of serum uric acid with markers of inflammation, metabolic syndrome, and subclinical coronary atherosclerosis. Am J Hypertens. 2007 Jan;20(1):83-9.
- Tsigrelis C, Singh KV, Coutinho TD, Murray BE, Baddour LM. Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis endocarditis: linezolid failure and strain characterization of virulence factors. J Clin Microbiol. 2007 Feb;45(2):631-5.