Alomgir Hossain, PhD is a Scientist at the Ottawa Heart Institute Research Corporation and an Assistant Professor, School of Epidemiology and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, at the University of Ottawa. Dr. Hossain is also appointed as an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, School of Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan.
Dr. Hossain received an MSc in Statistics and PhD in Epidemiology and Biostatistics from the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. He also received an MSc in Mathematics from the University of Concordia in Montreal. Dr. Hossain achieved Professional Statistician (P.Stat.) accreditation from the Statistical Society of Canada (SSC).
Dr. Hossain has worked as a Research Analyst (Biostatistician) at the Saskatchewan Health Quality Council and School of Medicine at the Saskatchewan University. He also taught several years at the University of Saskatchewan, in Saskatoon, and at Concordia University, in Montreal, as a Sessional Lecturer.
Dr. Hossain’s interests are in the area of statistical methods to analyze large administrative databases, including the registry database, clinical trial database, complex survey database and aggregated databases related to health. He is also interested in systematic reviews, meta-analysis and network-meta-analysis in Bayesian approach.
See current publications list at PubMed.
- G Wells, S Kelly, A Johnson, S Hsieh, J Elliott, Z Bai, L Chen, A Hossain. B Skidmore. New drugs for type 2 diabetes: second line therapy- science report, Ottawa: CADTH; 2017 Sep (CADTH therapeutic review; vol 4, no. 1b)
- Bami K, Premaratne M, Lamba J, Yam Y, Hossain A, Keenan M, Haddad T, Anand S, Burwash IG, Ruddy TD, Dwivedi G, Chow BJW. Appropriate Use Criteria for Cardiac Computed Tomography: Impact on Diagnostic Utility. J Comput Assist Tomogr.Sept 2017. 41(5): P 746-749.
- JA Singh, A Hossain, AS, Mudano, ET Ghogomu , ME Suarez-Almazor, R Buchbinder , LJ Maxwell , P Tugwell , G Wells. Biologics or tofacitinib for people with rheumatoid arthritis naïve to methotrexate: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issues 5, Art. No. CD012657
- M Premaratne, MBBS; M Mason; A Hossain, T Haddad, Jonathan D.H. Chow; Yeung Yam, BSc; Benjamin J.W. Chow, Cancelled Coronary Computed Tomography Angiography: Downstream Testing Affects Outcomes. Int J Cardiol. 2017. Vol 227: PP 457-461
- JA Singh, A Hossain, A Kotb, A Oliver, A Mudano, J Grossman, K Winthrop, GA Wells. Treatments for Lupus Nephritis: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis: J Rheumatol. 2016 Oct; 43(10):1801-1815
- A Chadi , J Bernick, P Arasaratnam, J. D.H. Chow, A Hossain, T Ruddy, G. S. Hillis,L Kritharides, B.J.W. Chow. Coronary Artery Disease in French Canadians-Investigation of a Suggested of a Vulnerable Population. Can J Cardiol 2016. Vol: 32(10): pp-1240-1245
- J A Lawson, I Janssen, M W Bruner, A Hossain, W Pickett. Asthma incidence and risk factors in a national longitudinal sample of adolescent Canadians: A prospective cohort study. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 2014; Vol. 14 No.51
- A Hossain, B Reeder, P Pahwa. The Monte Carlo simulation study to conduct comparison between standard regression and multilevel modeling techniques based on cross-sectional complex survey. Model Assisted Statistics and Applications 2013, Vol. 8, P.1-18
- A Hossain, S Konrad, J. A. Dosman, J McCrosky, P Pahwa, The Determinants of Chronic Bronchitis in Aboriginal Children and Youth. Can Respir J. 2012 Nov-Dec;19(6):e75-80
- A Hossain,. H.H. McDiffie, M. G. Bickis, P.Pahwa. Case-control study on occupational risk factors for soft-tissue sarcoma (STS). J Occup Environ Med, December 2007; Vol. 49: pp. 1386-1393