Mouhannad Sadek, MD, is a staff electrophysiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and The Ottawa Hospital.
Dr. Sadek received his medical degree from the University of Ottawa in 2005. He then completed his internal medicine training at the University of Toronto and cardiology training at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, where he received the Ottawa Heart Institute Dr. Evan Patrick Award for distinguished clinical care. He spent an additional two years in Ottawa specializing in cardiac electrophysiology.
In 2013, Dr. Sadek travelled to the University of Pennsylvania where he completed an 18-month clinical fellowship in advanced cardiac electrophysiology. During this training period, he was awarded the Detweiler travelling fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Dr. Sadek enjoys teaching electrophysiology concepts and procedural skills to medical students, cardiology residents and electrophysiology fellows. He is also active in clinical research.
Dr. Sadek has an interest in all aspects of cardiac electrophysiology, with a specific focus on radiofrequency ablation of complex arrhythmias including ventricular tachycardia and atrial fibrillation. In addition, he has advanced training in device and lead management, including lead extraction using laser technology and mechanical tools.
He has published on the treatment of ventricular arrhythmias and cardiac sarcoid.
- Ren JF, Callans DJ, Marchlinski FE, Stiffler JA, Sadek MM, Supple GE. 3D Intracardiac Echocardiography/Cartosound TM Imaging Of Esophagus Guided Left Atrial Posterior Wall Ablation For Atrial Fibrillation. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation, 2014;7(4):25-28.
- Sadek MM, Epstein AE, Cheung AT, Schaller RD. Pseudo-tamponade during transvenous lead extraction. Heart Rhythm. 2014 Dec 19. (online ahead of print).
- Sadek MM, Schaller RD, Supple GE, Frankel DS, Riley MP, Hutchinson MD, Garcia FC, Lin D, Dixit S, Zado ES, Callans DJ, Marchlinski FE. Ventricular Tachycardia Ablation – The Right Approach for the Right Patient. Arrhythmia & Electrophysiology Review, 2014;3(3):161–7
- Sadek MM, Benhayon D, Sureddi R, Chik W, Santangeli P, Supple GE, Hutchinson MD, Bala R, Carballeira L, Zado ES, Patel VV, Callans DJ, Marchlinski FE, Garcia FC. Idiopathic ventricular arrhythmias originating from the moderator band: Electrocardiographic characteristics and treatment by catheter ablation. Heart Rhythm. 2015 Jan;12(1):67-75.
- Sadek MM, Marchlinski FE. Ablation of ventricular arrhythmias. Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2014 Oct;24(7):296-304.
- Sham'a RA, Nery P, Sadek M, Yung D, Redpath C, Perrin M, Sarak B, Birnie D. Myocardial injury secondary to ICD shocks: insights from patients with lead fracture. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2014 Feb;37(2):237-41.
- Sadek MM, Chow BJ. The risks of computed tomography go beyond radiation. Can J Cardiol. 2014 Jun;30(6):697.e5-6.
- Sadek MM, Yung D, Birnie DH, Beanlands RS, Nery PB. Corticosteroid therapy for cardiac sarcoidosis: a systematic review. Can J Cardiol. 2013 Sep;29(9):1034-41.
- Sadek MM, Haddad T, Haddad H. The role of statins in chronic heart failure. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2009 Mar;24(2):167-71.
- Eder L, Sadek M, McDonald-Blumer H, Gladman DD. Aortitis and spondyloarthritis--an unusual presentation: case report and review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2010 Jun;39(6):510-4
- Sadek M, Yue FY, Lee EY, Gyenes G, Jones RB, Hoffstein V, Munoz DG, Fong I, Ostrowski M. Clinical and immunologic features of an atypical intracranial mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) infection compared with those of pulmonary MAC infections. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2008 Oct;15(10):1580-9
- Sadek MM, Ravindran A, Marcuzzi DW, Chisholm RJ. Complete occlusion of the proximal subclavian artery post-CABG: presentation and treatment. Can J Cardiol. 2008 Jul;24(7):591-2.