Louise Sun, MD, is a staff anesthesiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and an Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Epidemiology at the University of Ottawa. Dr. Sun also holds a full status Adjunct Scientist position at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES). Dr. Sun is the Director of Team Soleil at UOHI.
Dr. Sun received her medical degree from McMaster University in 2008. She completed her Anesthesiology Residency at the University of Ottawa in 2013 and received her Master of Science in Epidemiology from Harvard University that same year. As a trainee, Dr. Sun received awards at several research competitions and was published in high impact journals such as JAMA Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology.
Dr. Sun completed a fellowship in Cardiac Anesthesia and Research at Toronto General Hospital in 2014 and joined the Heart Institute in early 2015. She was appointed to ICES faculty that same year.
Dr. Sun’s population and precision-based research program in heart failure and cardiac surgery outcomes is supported by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the University of Ottawa and the UOHI ORACLE Strategic Plan. Her work has been highlighted by international media and featured as “article of the month” (Anesthesiology 2018), top 3 most cited articles in Anesthesiology (2018), and top 20 most cited articles in Anesthesiology (2017). She is invited to provide cardiovascular health-related commentaries on national channels such as CTV News, and collaborates with regional health authorities to evaluate current models health care delivery.
Dr. Sun has received awards at the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society Residents Research Competition (2012 and 2013), was named a top reviewer for the Annals of Internal Medicine (2015), and has been selected as a finalist at the upcoming American Heart Association’s Vivien Thomas Young Investigator Award (2018).
- Perioperative RV failure, HFpEF and AKI
- Ventricular assist devices and heart transplantation
- Hemodynamic monitoring
Dr. Sun’s research interests include:
- Heart failure epidemiology, disability consequences and health service utilization
- Impact of cardiac surgery and percutaneous intervention on long-term outcomes and quality of life
- Risk prediction and precision medicine of the above, with a particular focus on sex and gender
- Sun LY, Tu JV, Lee DS, Beanlands RS, Ruel M, Austin PC, Bader Eddeen A, Liu PP. (2018). Disability-Free Survival After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in Women and Men with Heart Failure and Preserved versus Reduced Ejection Fraction. BMJ Open Heart. In press.
- Sun LY, Chung AM, Farkouh M, Van Diepen S, Weinberger J, Bourke M, Ruel M. (2018). Defining a Perioperative Hypotension Threshold in Association with Stroke in Cardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology. 2018 Sep;129(3):440-447.
- Jagabi H, Boodhwani M, Tran DT, Sun LY, Well G, Rubens FD. (2018). The effect of preoperative anemia on patients undergoing cardiac surgery: a propensity-matched analysis. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2018 Sep 28. pii: S1043-0679(18)30215-6.
- Sun LY, Tu JV, Coutinho T, Turek M, Rubens F, McDonnell L, Tulloch H, Bader Eddeen, A. Mielniczuk LM.(2018). Sex Differences in Heart Failure Outcomes in an Ambulatory, Population-Based Cohort. CMAJ. 2018 Jul 16;190(28):E848-E854.
- Tran DTT, Tu JV, Dupuis JY, Bader Eddeen A, Sun LY. (2018). Association of Frailty and Long-Term Survival in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018 Jul 20;7(15). pii: e009882.
Sun LY, Tu JV, Bader Eddeen A, Liu PP. (2018). Long-Term Survival After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in Men and Women with Heart Failure and Preserved vs Reduced Ejection Fraction. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018;7(e008902).
- Ngu JMC, Ruel M, Sun LY. (2018). Left Ventricular Function Recovery After Revascularization: Comparative Effects of PCI and CABG. Current Opinion in Cardiology. 2018 Aug 29. doi: 10.1097/HCO.0000000000000566.
- Hui SK, Lindale E, Sun L, Ruel M. (2018). Genetics of coronary artery disease: should they impact the choice of revascularization? Current Opinion in Cardiology. 2018 Sept 3. doi: 10.1097/HCO.0000000000000560.
- Sun LY, Tu JV, Sherrard H, Rodger N, Coutinho T, Turek M, Chan E, McDonnell L, Tulloch H, Mielniczuk LM. (2018). Sex-Specific Temporal Trends in Incidence and Mortality for Urban and Rural Ambulatory Heart Failure Patients in Eastern Ontario. Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2018 Aug 10. pii: S1071-9164(18)30870-4
- Ngu, JMC, Sun LY, Ruel M. (2018). Pivotal contemporary trials of PCI vs CABG: A surgical perspective. Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery. 2018;7(4):527-532.
- Hui SK, Sun LY, Ruel M. (2018). Genetics, coronary artery disease, and myocardial revascularization: will novel genetic risk scores bring new answers? Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Online First: 1-9.
- Prince SA, McDonnell LM, Turek M, Visintini S, Nahwegahbow AJ, Kandasamy S, Sun LY, Coutinho T. (2017). The State of Affairs of Cardiovascular Health Research in Indigenous Women in Canada: a Scoping Review. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 34(4): 437-449.
- Sun LY, Wijeysundera DN, Tait G, Beattie WS. Association of Intraoperative Hypotension with Acute Kidney Injury after Elective Noncardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology. 2015 Sept;123(3): 515-23.
- Sun LY, Gershon AS, Ko DT, Thilen SR, Yun L, Beattie WS, Wijeysundera DN. Trends of Pulmonary Function Testing before Non-Cardiothoracic Surgery in a Population-Based Cohort. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2015 Aug;175(8):1410-2.
- Sun L, Boodhwani M, Baer H, McDonald B. The association between tracheostomy and sternal wound infection in postoperative cardiac surgery patients. Can J Anaesth. 2013 Jul;60(7):684-91.
- Murphy MJ, Tichauer KM, Sun L, Chen X, Lee TY. Mean transit time is an index of cerebral perfusion pressure in experimental systemic hypotension. Physiological Measurement. 2011 Apr;32(4):395-405.
- Yousefi A, Gauvin C, Sun L, DiRaddo R, Fernandes J. Design and fabrication of 3D-plotted polymeric scaffolds in functional tissue engineering.Polymer Engineering and Science. 2007 May;47:5:608-18.