Louise Sun, MD, is a staff anesthesiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and an Assistant Professor at the Department of Anesthesiology and School of Epidemiology, Public Health and Preventative Medicine, University of Ottawa. Dr. Sun also holds an Adjunct Scientist position at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES).
Dr. Sun received her medical degree from McMaster University. While completing her Master of Science in Clinical Epidemiology at Harvard University, she received awards at various research competitions, including being both a finalist and winner of the Canadian Anesthesiologist Society Residents’ Research Competition in consecutive years.
She completed a fellowship in Cardiac Anesthesia and Research at Toronto General Hospital in 2014 and joined the Heart Institute in early 2015. She was appointed to ICES faculty that same year.
Dr. Sun’s research is supported by Heart and Stroke Foundation and ORACLE Strategic Plan.
- Perioperative RV failure, HFpEF and AKI
- Ventricular assist devices and heart transplantation
Dr. Sun’s research interests include:
- Establishing an integrated approach to prediction and early treatment of perioperative RV failure and AKI using novel biomarkers and hemodynamic markers
- Personalized hemodynamic goals for preventing complications in cardiac surgical patients
- Health services utilization and patient outcomes relating to heart failure.
- Gender epidemiology in heart failure patients
Selected publications (up to 10):
- Sun LY, Wijeysundera DN, Tait G, Beattie WS. Association of Intraoperative Hypotension with Acute Kidney Injury after Elective Noncardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology. Published online July 16, 2015. doi:10.1097/ALN.000000000000076.
- Preoperative pulmonary function testing decreased after ACP guidelines - a population- based study. Interview with MedicalResearch.com on June 12, 2015.
- Sun LY, Gershon AS, Ko DT, Thilen SR, Yun L, Beattie WS, Wijeysundera DN. Trends of Pulmonary Function Testing before Non-Cardiothoracic Surgery in a Population-Based Cohort. JAMA Internal Medicine. Published online June 8, 2015. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.2087.
- Sun L, Boodhwani M, Baer H, McDonald B. The association between tracheostomy and sternal wound infection in postoperative cardiac surgery patients. Can J Anaesth. 2013 Jul;60(7):684-91.
- Barra L, Ha A, Sun L, Fonseca C, Pope J. Efficacy of biologic agents in improving the Health Assessment Questionnaire (HAQ) score in established and early rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis with indirect comparisons. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2014 Jan 24.
- Murphy MJ, Tichauer KM, Sun L, Chen X, Lee TY. Mean transit time is an index of cerebral perfusion pressure in experimental systemic hypotension. Physiological Measurement. 2011 Apr;32(4):395-405.
- Yousefi A, Gauvin C, Sun L, DiRaddo R, Fernandes J. Design and fabrication of 3D-plotted polymeric scaffolds in functional tissue engineering. Polymer Engineering and Science. 2007 May;47:5:608-18.