The practice of interventional cardiology (IC) has evolved beyond a procedural specialty isolated to coronary disease. Specialists in IC must have knowledge in: adjuvant pharmacology, acute coronary syndromes, structural heart disease, diagnostic imaging, genetics and vascular biology. Accordingly, it is integral to form a network of researchers with common goals in improving outcomes among patients undergoing interventional procedures.
Goals of the Cluster
The Innovation Cluster participants address major gaps in the knowledge base for interventional cardiology including:
- Personalization of therapies for patients undergoing IC procedures using novel strategies
- Long-term follow-up and outcomes for existing and novel IC interventions
- Structural heart disease research
- Research for “First-in-Man” use of new IC technologies
- Acute coronary syndromes (ACS) and return of spontaneous circulation (ROSC) post-arrest strategies and interventions
- Regenerative medicine
Innovation Cluster Scientists
Lead: Derek So, MD, University of Ottawa Heart Institute
Team members at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute:
Aun Yeong Chong, MD, Benjamin Chow, MD, Darryl Davis, MD, Sandy Dick, MD, Michael Froeschl, MD, Chris Glover, MD, Benjamin Hibbert, MD, Marino Labinaz, MD, Khanh Lam, MD, Michel Le May, MD, Peter Liu, MD, Jean-Francois Marquis, MD, Ruth McPherson, MD, PhD, Katey Rayner, PhD, Marc Ruel, MD, Erik Suuronen, PhD, George A. Wells, PhD,and Heather Sherrard, BScN, MHA.
Other Team members:
Carole Dennie, MD, Associate Professor, Radiology & Cardiology, University of Ottawa
Duncan Stewart, PhD, CEO & Scientific Director, OHRI
Jean-Francois Tanguay, MD, Professor, Montreal Heart Institute, Université de Montréal
Shaun Goodman, MD, Professor, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, University of Toronto
Michael Farkouh, MD, Professor, Peter Munk Cardiac Centre, University of Toronto
Naveen Pereira, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Pharmacology, Mayo Clinic
- Performance of Bioresorbable Vascular Scaffolds in Patients with Diabetes Mellitus: A Proof of Concept Towards Development of a Bench to Bedside PCI Technology Evaluation Program
Project led by Derek So, MD, and Benjamin Hibbert, MD
- A Pharmacodynamic Study of a Personalized Strategy for P2Y12 Inhibition versus Ticagrelor in Reducing Ischemic and Bleeding Risk (RAPID MANAGE – Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT02044146)
Project led by Derek So, MD and Jean-Francois Tanguay, MD
- Femoral versus Radia Access in Primary PCI (SAFARI-STEMI – Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT1398254)
Project led by Michel Le May, MD
- Mild versus Moderate Therapeutic Hypothermia in Out-of-hospital Cardiac Arrest (CAPITAL CHILL – Clinicaltrials.gov: NCT 02011568)
Project led by Michel Le May, MD and Benjamin Hibbert, MD
- So DY, Wells GA, McPherson R, Labinaz M, Le May MR, Glover C, Dick AJ, Froeschl M, Marquis JF, Gollob MH, Tran L, Bernick J, Hibbert B, Roberts JD on behalf of the CAPITAL investigators. A Prospective Randomized Evaluation of a Pharmacogenomic Approach to Antiplatelet Therapy among Patients with ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction: The RAPID STEMI Study. Pharmacogenomics J. 2015 Apr.
- Ramirez FD, Hibbert B, Simard T, Maze R, Pourdjabbar A, Chong AY, Le May MR, Shiau J, Wilson KR, Hawken S, O’Brien ER, So, DY on behalf of the CArdiovascular Percutaneous Intervention TriAL (CAPITAL) Investigators. Clinical outcomes among patients with extreme obesity undergoing elective coronary revascularization: evaluation of post-procedural complications in contemporary practice. Int J.Cardiol. 2015 Mar; 186:266-72.
- Verheye S, Jolicœur EM, Behan MW, Pettersson T, Sainsbury P, Hill J, Vrolix M, Agostoni P, Engstrom T, Labinaz M, de Silva R, Schwartz M, Meyten N, Uren NG, Doucet S, Tanguay JF, Lindsay S, Henry TD, White CJ, Edelman ER, Banai S. Efficacy of a device to narrow the coronary sinus in refractory angina. N Engl J Med. 2015 Feb 5;372(6):519-27.
- Le May MR, Acharya S, Wells GA, Burwash I, Chong AY, So DY, Glover CA, Froeschl MP, Hibbert B, Marquis JF, Dick A, Blondeau M, Bernick J, Labinaz M. Prophylactic warfarin therapy after primary percutaneous coronary intervention for anterior ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015 Jan;8(1 Pt B):155-62. Epub 2014 Oct 30.
- Moudgil R, Al-Turbak H, Osborne C, Hibbert B, So DY, Le May MR; CAPITAL Investigators. Superiority of ticagrelor over clopidogrel in patients after cardiac arrest undergoing therapeutic hypothermia. Can J Cardiol. 2014 Nov;30(11):1396-9. Epub 2014 Aug 15.
- Maze R, Le May MR, Froeschl M, Hazra SK, Wells PS, Osborne C, Labinaz M, Hibbert B, So DY; Cardiovascular Percutaneous Intervention TriAL (CAPITAL) investigators. Endovascular cooling catheter related thrombosis in patients undergoing therapeutic hypothermia for out of hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 2014 Oct;85(10):1354-8.
- Hibbert B, Hayley B, Beanlands RS, Le May M, Davies R, So D, Marquis JF, Labinaz M, Froeschl M, O’Brien ER, Burwash IG, Wells GA, Pourdjabbar A, Simard T, Atkins H, Glover C. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor therapy for stem cell mobilization following anterior wall myocardial infarction: the CAPITAL STEM MI randomized trial. CMAJ. 2014 Aug 5;186(11):E427-34.
- Hibbert B, Lavoie JR, Ma X, Seibert T, Raizman JE, Simard T, Chen YX, Stewart D, O’Brien ER. Glycogen synthase kinase-3β inhibition augments diabetic endothelial progenitor cell abundance and functionality via cathepsin B: a novel therapeutic opportunity for arterial repair. Diabetes. 2014 Apr;63(4):1410-21.
- Mayfield A E, Tilokee E L, Latham N, McNeill B, Lam B K, Ruel M, Suuronen E J, Courtman D W, Stewart D J, & Davis D R. The effect of encapsulation of cardiac stem cells within matrix-enriched hydrogel capsules on cell survival, post-ischemic cell retention and cardiac function. Biomaterials (2014). 35(1), 133-142.
- Ahmadi A, McNeill B, Vulesevic B, Kordos M, Mesana L, Thorn S, Renaud JM, Manthorp,E, Kuraitis D, Toeg H, Mesana TG, Davis DR, Beanlands RS, Dasilva JN, Dekemp RA, Ruel M, Suuronen EJ.The role of integrin alpha2 in cell and matrix therapy that improves perfusion, viability and function of infarcted myocardium. Biomaterials, 2014, 35, 17, 4749-4758,
- Robillard J, Pena E, Veinot J P, Fulop J, & Dennie C. (2014). Pericardial lymphangiohemangioma multimodality imaging features and pathologic correlation. Circulation, 129(25), e657-e659.
- Roberts JD, Wells GA, Le May MR, Labinaz M, Glover C, Froeschl M, Dick A, Marquis JF, O’Brien E, Goncalves S, Druce I, Stewart A, Gollob MH, So DY. Point-of-care genetic testing for personalisation of antiplatelet treatment (RAPID GENE): a prospective, randomised, proof-of-concept trial. Lancet. 2012 May 5;379(9827):1705-11.
So, D. Principal Investigator, Tanguay, Co-Principal Investigator - Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) Operating Grant 2012-15 $192 620
Reassessment of Anti-Platelet therapy using InDividualized Strategies – Modifying Acute CoroNary Syndrome Algorithms based on Genetic and Demographic Evaluation: The RAPID-MANAGE Pilot study