People with brain injuries move through recovery at different speeds. Some people may:
- Move from one level of functioning to another
- Never be at a lower level of functioning
- Never reach higher levels of functioning
- Be at more than one level at the same time
How fast and how much a person recovers is affected by many things, such as:
- Length of oxygen deprivation
- Other injuries (such as cardiac or orthopedic injuries)
- Complications during the recovery process
- Age and general health
- Medication side effects
In general, the more serious the injury, the longer and more intensive the rehabilitation will be.
Longer periods of unconsciousness lead to a greater likelihood that some disability will remain, even after an extended period of recovery.