During your stay, your health care team will collect information about you, which is stored in your health record. Some of the information that may be collected includes:
- Email address
- Health history
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Names of other health care providers
- Family history
The Personal Health Information and Protection Act (PHIPA) is an Ontario law that controls how we collect, use and share any of the information that we collect about you. The University of Ottawa Heart Institute takes the protection of your privacy very seriously. If you have any questions or concerns about the protection of your personal information, please call our Privacy Office at 613-696-7000 ext. 13575.
If you would like to request access or make a change to your health record, please call Health Records at 613-798-5555 ext. 18720 for more information.
Your health records may be reviewed for education, research or for quality improvement. However, UOHI needs your permission before Investigators or research staff may contact you for research purposes (see page 35 for research information). If you are a patient, please note:
- Institute healthcare staff will ask for your permission for researchers to contact you.
- Agreeing to be contacted does NOT mean you are agreeing to participate in a study; it just permits the researchers to contact you.
- Deciding not to grant permission will NOT affect the care you receive.
- If you have provided permission, researchers may contact you to discuss your potential for participation in a study.
- Research participation is completely voluntary!