Cardiology Referral Clinic
The Cardiology Referral Clinic is a central point of access for referring patients who do not already have a cardiologist to the University of Ottawa Heart Institute for out-patient consultation:
- For a general cardiology consultation
- To a specific cardiologist
- To one of the specialized cardiac clinics
To refer a patient:
- Referrals are accepted from physicians
- Download the referral form (pdf) and fax it to the clinic with the appropriate available history and investigations to 613-696-7155
Adult Congenital Heart Clinic
Referrals are accepted from physician’s offices. Helpful background information includes: patient demographics, medical history and physical examination results, test reports (echocardiogram, CXR, TMT, MUGA, MRI), previous heart catheterization, and/or cardiac surgery reports.
- Clinic Contact: 613-696-7078
To refer a patient to the Aortic Clinic, please review our referral criteria and submit the referral as outlined on the form:
To refer a patient to the Arrhythmia Clinic, please submit the referral as outlined on the form:
The Cardiology-Oncology Clinic is by referral only (pdf) from physicians associated with the Cancer Centre (oncologists, hematologists or cardiologists).
The Diabetes Management Clinic is a collaboration between the Division of Cardiology at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and the Division of Endocrinology & Metabolism at The Ottawa Hospital.
- Clinic Contact: 613-696-7000 x13530
Patients may be seen pre-admission for optimization prior to cardiac surgery if one or more of the following criteria are met:
- Severe or frequent hypoglycemia (two or more episodes of glucose < 3 or unresponsive to change in therapy)
- Suboptimal glycemic control (A1C >8% (0.08) or capillary blood glucose > 14) despite changes in treatment
- Will likely need to start insulin
- Need further insulin adjustment and teaching
All other diabetes outpatient referrals should be directed to The Ottawa Hospital Endocrine and Diabetes Centre, Riverside Campus.
- Referring a patient for a Device (pdf)
- Referring a patient to the Arrhythmia Clinic (pdf) or for consideration of ablation (pdf)
Heart Function Clinic
The Heart Function Clinic is a specialized outpatient cardiac clinic for the care of patients with heart failure.
- Clinic Contact: 613-696-7075
The Hypertension Clinic sees patients requiring diagnosis, treatment and/or management of high blood pressure. Patients with very low blood pressure are also seen at the clinic.
- Clinic Contact: 613-696-7057
Inherited Arrhythmia Clinic
All new referrals to the Inherited Arrhythmia Clinic will be seen within 8 to12 weeks. Helpful background information includes: patient demographics, medical history/reason for referral, test reports (echo, treadmill, ECGs). Please fax referrals to 613-696-7124.
The Lipid Clinic helps patients manage cholesterol, triglycerides and other cardiac risk factors.
- Clinic Contact: 613-696-7341
Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic
The Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic brings together cardiologists, respirologists and nurses at the Heart Institute and from The Ottawa Hospital to provide comprehensive patient care.
- Please refer to the cardiac sarcoidosis clinical guidelines (pdf)
- Fax referrals to: 613-696-7123
- Please ensure that all previous sarcoidosis-related tests and biopsies are included with the referral.
To refer a patient for surgery consideration, complete the Patient Registry Form (pdf) and contact the Regional Cardiac Surgery Coordinator at 613-696-7000 x15444.
Telehealth employs telemedicine, telehome monitoring and interactive voice response technologies to improve access to specialized cardiac care.
- Telehealth Referral Form (pdf)
Valve Surgery Clinic
To refer a patient, contact the clinic at 613-696-7265 or 613-696-7000 x19032, or by fax at 613-696-7120.