Outpatient referrals for diagnostic cardiac catheterization or angioplasty must be made by a cardiologist. To refer a patient, complete the Patient Registry Form (pdf) and fax to 613-696-7144. For questions or to advise of changes in patient status, contact the Regional Cardiac Care Coordinator at 613-696-7000 x19733.
Referrals for admitted patients can be made by a cardiologist or internist. Complete the Patient Registry Form (pdf) and fax to 613-696-7144. For questions or to advise of changes in patient status, contact the Regional Cardiac Care Coordinator at 613-696-7000 x19733.
Cardiac Diagnostic Imaging and Other Tests
There are a number of tests used to diagnose various conditions that affect the heart. Use the General requisition form unless otherwise specified.
- Cardiac Diagnostic and Imaging Requisition - General (pdf)
- Cardiac Diagnostic and Imaging Requisition - CT, MRI, X-RAY (pdf)
The following algorithms can help guide the appropriate selection of tests:
- 24-Hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring
Fill out the 24-HR-ABPM Requisition (pdf), save for your files, and either email to 24-HR-ABPM@ottawaheart.ca or fax to 613-696-7125.
- Ambulatory ECG Monitoring (Holter)
- Ambulatory ECG Monitor (LOOP)
Cardiac CT/Non-Invasive Angiography
- CT Coronary Angiography
- Coronary Calcium Score
- Pulmonary Vein and Left Atrium Study
Cardiac Structure and/or Function Assessment
- Echocardiography (Colour Doppler)
- Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE)
- Ventricular Function and Volume Scan (MUGA/Radionuclide Blood Pool Imaging)
- Cardiac MRI (Anatomy & Function)
Stress Testing/Ischemic Testing
- Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test
- Exercise Treadmill Stress Test
- Stress SPECT Myocardial Perfusion and Function (exercise or persantine)
- Stress PET Myocardial Perfusion and Function (persantine or dobutamine)
- Stress Echocardiography (exercise or dobutamine)
- Cardiac MRI (Viability, Cardiomyopathy)
- Cardiac PET (Viability, Sarcoidosis)
- CADRE FDG PET Requisition (pdf) – refer a patient for a PET viability (rest) scan. More information on F-18-FDG can be found in the FluorOHmet product monograph (pdf); by contacting the Sponsor, University of Ottawa Heart Institute, National Cardiac PET Centre, at: 1-855-864-4334; or through the Health Canada Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate.
Other Imaging Tests
- Chest X-Ray
- Carotid Doppler
- Femoral Doppler