What is Epic MyChart?
Epic MyChart is a secure, online patient portal that connects you with your medical and personal health information anytime, anywhere and on any device. It allows you to access your medical and personal health information in one record, and helps you monitor your health status to make more informed decisions about your health.
Why use Epic MyChart?
Epic MyChart gives you immediate access to the important medical and personal health information you need. Access after-visit summaries, see your upcoming appointments, review your test results and progress/discharge notes, medical imaging reports, and more.
Epic MyChart lets you record information such as your medications, allergies and health measurements, such as blood pressure and weight.
Epic MyChart connects you to six regional partners: The Ottawa Hospital, The Ottawa Hospital Academic Family Health Team, the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Hawkesbury and District General Hospital, Renfrew Victoria Hospital, and St. Francis Memorial Hospital.
Is there a fee to use Epic MyChart?
Epic MyChart is currently available at no cost to patients.
Who will have access to Epic MyChart?
All patients who receive care at the following healthcare partners will have access to Epic MyChart:
- The University of Ottawa Heart Institute
- The Ottawa Hospital
- Hawkesbury and District General Hospital
- Renfrew Victoria Hospital
- St. Francis Memorial Hospital
- The Ottawa Hospital Academic Family Health Team
Patients Transitioning from myOttawaHeart
How do I sign up for Epic MyChart?
- You will receive an e-mail with an activation code for Epic MyChart and a link to sign up in Fall 2019.
- The new Epic MyChart will come loaded with your personal health records dating back to January 1, 2016. It will include your test results and clinical notes, and any records you previously accessed in the pilot project version.
- Once you’re signed up for Epic MyChart, you will have the option to enter your personal information like allergies and medications into the system. If you entered personal information into the old system, this will not transfer automatically to Epic MyChart.
I have an account with myOttawaHeart. When will it be discontinued?
As of September 2019, you will no longer have access to myOttawaHeart.
How is Epic MyChart different from myOttawaHeart?
Epic MyChart is designed to be more secure than ever. It connects seamlessly to five other healthcare providers in the region. It offers the same functionality you’re used to, as well as new features. Now, for example, before your appointment, you’ll be able to answer hospital questionnaires from the comfort of your home. After your appointment, your after-visit summary will be added to your Epic MyChart for easy reference.
Signing up for Epic MyChart
How do I sign up?
Choose any of the following three options:
- Ask the clerk at central registration to send you an e-mail with an activation code.
- Ask clinic staff to sign you up when you are in the exam room.
- Use the Epic MyChart activation code on your after-visit summary.
I just received my activation code. Now what?
You may use a computer with an up-to-date browser or a mobile device (Apple or Android) with internet access to connect to Epic MyChart. Note that Google Chrome is the recommended browser for accessing Epic MyChart.
- Go to the Epic MyChart login page or visit the App Store or Google Play to download the ‘MyChart’ app for iOS or Android. The mobile apps contain many of the same features as the Epic MyChart website.
- Click ‘Sign Up Now.’
- Enter your activation code and other personal verification items, such as your health card number and your date of birth. Click ‘Next.’
- Provide the following information on the next page:
- Epic MyChart username: This should be something others wouldn’t be likely to guess, but easy for you to remember. It cannot be changed at any time.
- Password: This should be a unique combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, and numbers. Your password must be at least eight characters long and must be different from your Epic MyChart username. Choose a password you don’t use for other websites.
- Security question. This question will be used to verify your identity if you forget your Epic MyChart password. Choose a security question from the list and enter your answer. Your answer cannot include your Epic MyChart password.
- On the next page, choose whether you want to receive a notification message in your personal e-mail when new information becomes available concerning your Epic MyChart account. If you opt to receive e-mail alerts, you must enter your e-mail address.
How do I login?
- Access the Epic MyChart login page from your computer or the Epic MyChart app from your Apple or Android mobile device.
- Enter your username and password and click “Sign In.”
Why do I need an e-mail address to use Epic MyChart?
You need an e-mail account to receive e-mail alerts when new information is sent to your Epic MyChart account.
Your Health Record
What does my MyChart health record contain?
Epic MyChart will allow you to see:
- a list of your health issues, allergies and medications.
- most lab and medical imaging test results.
- upcoming and post-ambulatory care appointments, along with summaries from those visits.
- visit summaries from the emergency department and inpatient units.
- password protected PDF versions of other health information you have requested.
How far back will my medical information go in MyChart?
Epic MyChart will show your medical information dating as far back as January 2016.
- the mobile application will not show reports prior to June 1, 2019.
- only active medication (medication currently prescribed to you) will be kept on MyChart.
How do I see my test results?
Sign in to Epic MyChart on your desktop computer. Under the “Health” icon, select “Test Results” from the “What’s in My Record?” dropdown menu.
If you are accessing Epic MyChart via a mobile application on your smartphone, look for “Test Results” under “Activities” after signing in.
Your lab results will appear immediately, and your imaging and pathology results will be available within 15 days after the completion of the reporting on the studies. Please note some results will not be available in Epic MyChart.
When will my test results show in Epic MyChart?
- Your lab results will appear immediately.
- Your medical imaging and pathology results will be available within 15 days after the completion of the reporting on the studies.
- Please note some test results are only delivered in person or over the phone and will not show in MyChart. If you feel your test results should be available, but you don’t see them, please contact your healthcare team.
Why are some test results not available in Epic MyChart?
Some test results are only given in person or over the phone. These kinds of results are not normally available on Epic MyChart. If you feel your test results should be available, but you don’t see them, please contact your healthcare team.
I have a test result that is higher or lower than the normal. Why is that?
You may see a result that is higher or lower than the normal reference ranges for that specific test. Depending on your medical conditions and the medications you might be taking, this result could be considered acceptable by your doctor.
Your doctor will evaluate your test results in the context of your medical history, physical examination, and other relevant factors to determine whether a result that falls outside of the reference range means something significant to you. If you have any questions about your test results, please contact your doctor or clinic staff.
How do I see clinical notes in Epic MyChart?
To view clinical notes, log on to Epic MyChart from your desktop computer and click on the “Visits’ icon, then select “Appointments and Visits.” If applicable, clinical notes will be available under “AVS - Outpatient” or the “Notes” tab.
If you are using a mobile application on your smartphone, sign in to Epic MyChart. Under “Activities,” select “Appointments.” Select a past appointment or consult for which you would like to see clinical notes. Your After Visit Summary will then appear automatically, if applicable.
Some of my health information on Epic MyChart is incorrect. What should I do?
Your healthcare provider reviews and updates your health information in Epic, the hospital’s digital health network, during and after each visit. Ask your healthcare provider to correct any incorrect information at your next clinic visit.
You can add and update information about allergies and medications in Epic MyChart. Once this information is added, your healthcare provider will verify it during your next visit.
Sharing Epic MyChart Access
Can I let someone else view my health record, or can I view a family member’s health record in Epic MyChart?
Not yet. This feature will be available soon.
How do I give someone proxy access?
Once this feature is available, you can request proxy access by asking during your next registration or by visiting our Health Records Department to complete a Proxy Consent Form.
Can my spouse and I share one Epic MyChart account?
No. Due to the sensitive nature of medical information, each adult must establish their own Epic MyChart account.
Security and Privacy
Is Epic MyChart secure?
We take great care to ensure your health information is kept private and secure.
- Access to information is controlled through secure activation codes, personal usernames and passwords.
- Healthcare providers in the hospital can only access medical information in Epic for the patients they are treating, using through their own username and password.
- Your Epic MyChart account cannot be accessed without your password.
The health information you see in Epic MyChart is from the hospitals in which you received care. The information is protected by the policies of those hospitals. It is also protected by Ontario’s health privacy laws.
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute data privacy and information security practices comply with relevant legal requirements and organizational policies for information protection.
For more information on privacy, visit Epic MyChart Privacy.
Passwords and Activation Codes
I forgot my password. What should I do?
- On Epic MyChart’s homepage, click “Forgot password?” or “Forgot username?”
- Follow the instructions. You will have to enter your username, date of birth and health card number or MRN.
- You will receive a code by e-mail and will need to enter it to login.
- If you are still having trouble logging in, contact the support team at the hospital where you typically receive care.
My activation code does not work. What should I do?
- For security purposes, an activation code expires after 14 days. If you have not registered within 14 days, you will need to ask for a new activation code.
- Your activation code will be no longer be valid after your account is activated. You will need to use your username and password to login.
I am not getting e-mail alerts about new information in Epic MyChart. Why?
You will only receive e-mail alerts when new information (e.g.: lab results, messages and appointment reminders) appear in Epic MyChart.
Detailed below are the steps to follow if you are not receiving alerts.
- Check your junk mail/spam folder for e-mail alerts. If you see messages there, change the settings on your e-mail filter to allow these messages.
- To check your notification settings in Epic MyChart using your desktop computer, hover your curser over the “Profile” icon, then select “Notifications” from the dropdown menu. Ensure the e-mail icons are enabled for the types of notifications you wish to receive.
- To check your notification settings in Epic MyChart using the mobile application on your smartphone, click the vertical three dot icon in the top right corner of the app, and then select “Account Settings.” Make sure your e-mail address is correct and that notifications are enabled.
- If you have checked these settings and you still are not receiving e-mail alerts, please contact EpicMyChart@ottawaheart.ca.
I see a “Login Unsuccessful” error and I think I might be locked out. What should I do?
If you tried to login five times and could not access Epic MyChart, your account will be locked for security reasons. To reactivate your account, please contact EpicMyChart@ottawaheart.ca.
Where can I update my personal information in Epic MyChart (for example, provide a new e-mail address or change my security question or password)?
To update your password or change your security question using a desktop computer:
- Login to Epic MyChart.
- Under the “Profile” icon, select “Security Settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Follow the instructions to update your password or change your security question and save when you are finished.
To change your e-mail address using a desktop computer:
- Login to Epic MyChart.
- Under the “Profile” icon, select “Personal Information” from the dropdown menu.
- Under “Contact Information,” provide a new e-mail address in the space provided and then save your changes.
To provide a new e-mail address or change your password from a smartphone application, follow these steps below.
- Login to Epic MyChart.
- Press the vertical three-dots icon in the top right corner.
- Select ‘Account Settings’ from the dropdown menu.
- Select ‘Update E-mail and Phone’ or ‘Change Password’ to make changes. Follow the instructions provided.
I do not want to receive notifications from MyChart. How do I turn them off?
When you use MyChart, you will receive notifications to your phone and email about test results, upcoming appointments, after-visit summaries and more! However, if you do not want to receive these notifications, they can be turned. Please refer to the Disabling MyChart Notifications (PDF)
For more information
Please call our Epic MyChart support line at 613-696-7020, or send an e-mail to EpicMyChart@ottawaheart.ca.