Population Health Research Program in Heart Failure and Cardiovascular Interventions (Team Soleil)
Team Soleil’s research program is based on heart failure and long-term outcomes after cardiovascular interventions. The team focuses on sex and gender epidemiology, as well as patient-oriented outcomes.
Specific projects include establishment of novel predictive approaches for perioperative right ventricular failure, determination of personalized perioperative hemodynamic goals to prevent complications in cardiac surgery, derivation and prediction of patient-defined outcomes, improving the outcomes of medical and surgical patients with heart failure, and finding solutions to disparities in access to cardiac health care. This is accomplished through a combination of interventional and observational study designs, machine learning approaches, and the integration of institutional and large population-based administrative databases.
- Influence of sex on cardiac referral, quality indicators and outcomes in heart failure care in Ontario
- Development and application of patient-defined outcomes after cardiac surgery
- Comparative effectiveness of cardiac surgery vs. percutaneous interventions
- Sex differences in long-term outcomes after cardiac interventions
- Ischemic cardiomyopathy and left ventricular functional recovery
- Novel biomarkers and hemodynamic markers as predictors of right ventricular failure and acute kidney injury after major cardiac surgery
- Defining personalized perioperative blood pressure and other hemodynamic targets to prevent complications
- Johnston A, Mesana TG, Lee DS, Bader Eddeen A, Sun LY. Sex Differences in Long-Term Survival After Major Cardiac Surgery: A Population-Based Cohort Study. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2019 Sep 3;8(17):e013260.
- Ruel M, Sun LY. Postoperative Use of Calcium-Channels Blockers in Patients with a Radial Artery Graft: Do We Now Have a Definitive Answer? Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2019. May 14;73(18):2307-2309.
- Sun LY, Kimmoun A, Takagi K, Liu PP, Bader Eddeen A, Mebazaa A. Ethnic Differences in Acute
- Heart Failure Outcomes in Ontario. International Journal of Cardiology, 2019. Sept 15;291:177-182.
- Sun LY, Tu JV, Lee DS, Beanlands RS, Ruel M, Austin PC, Bader Eddeen A, Liu PP. Disability-Free Survival After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in Women and Men with Heart Failure and Preserved versus Reduced Ejection Fraction. BMJ Open Heart. 2018. Nov 5;5(2):e000911.
- Sun LY, Chung AM, Farkouh M, Van Diepen S, Weinberger J, Bourke M, Ruel M. Defining a Perioperative Hypotension Threshold in Association with Stroke in Cardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology. 2018 Sep;129(3):440-447.
- Sun LY, Tu JV, Coutinho T, Turek M, Rubens F, McDonnell L, Tulloch H, Bader Eddeen, A. Mielniczuk LM. Sex Differences in Heart Failure Outcomes in an Ambulatory, Population-Based Cohort. CMAJ. 2018 Jul 16;190(28):E848-E854.
- Tran DTT, Tu JV, Dupuis JY, Bader Eddeen A, Sun LY. Association of Frailty and Long-Term Survival in Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018 Jul 20;7(15). pii: e009882.
- Sun LY, Tu JV, Bader Eddeen A, Liu PP. Long-Term Survival After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in Men and Women with Heart Failure and Preserved vs Reduced Ejection Fraction. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2018;7(e008902).
- Sun LY, Wijeysundera DN, Tait G, Beattie WS. Association of Intraoperative Hypotension with Acute Kidney Injury after Elective Noncardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology. 2015 Sept;123(3): 515-23.
- Sun LY, Gershon AS, Ko DT, Thilen SR, Yun L, Beattie WS, Wijeysundera DN. Trends of Pulmonary Function Testing before Non-Cardiothoracic Surgery in a Population-Based Cohort. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2015 Aug;175(8):1410-2.