February 1, 2021, OTTAWA - Today, Mayor Jim Watson proclaimed February Heart Month in Ottawa and urged residents to be proactive about their heart health and help raise important funds and awareness to support the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI) and UOHI Foundation.
Here’s how residents can participate in Heart Month this February:
- Learn about heart health: To learn about heart health and discover a wealth of specialized cardiac clinics and programs related to heart conditions, procedures, and risk factors, or to register for a heart health webinar or workshop, visit ottawaheart.ca.
- Join the conversation: Follow the UOHI and UOHI Foundation on social media and use the hashtag #AllInForHeartMonth to participate in the national conversation about heart health.
- Hunt for hearts: Participate in the UOHI Foundation’s first-ever scavenger hunt and compete with others in the community for up to $20,000 in prizing. Powered by Escape Manor, this event runs all month long.
- “Paint the town red”: Local businesses are lighting up their facades in red for heart health awareness.
- Text to donate: Text a heart emoji to 456-78 to donate $5.00 to the UOHI Foundation instantly. Funds raised ensure patients of the UOHI and their families continue to receive world-class care in Ottawa.
- Donate online: The UOHI Foundation’s corporate match champions will double donations received all month long.
To learn more about February is Heart Month, visit februaryisheartmonth.ca.
To coordinate an interview with a Heart Month spokesperson or an expert from the UOHI, please coordinate with the liaison named below.
Leigh B. Morris
University of Ottawa Heart Institute