What does it mean and why might you want to be involved?
“Nothing About Us Without Us!”
The University of Ottawa Heart Institute is dedicated to understanding, treating and preventing heart disease. Providing extraordinary care and building knowledge through research are key components of the Heart Institute’s mandate. We can only reach these goals by working together with patients, family members, caregivers and the community. We use forums, focus group discussions, surveys and polls, and formalized partnerships in our engagement efforts.
There are benefits when you become a Patient Partner. You can:
- Help shape the future of patient care and research at the UOHI.
- Meet other patients with similar conditions.
- Share valuable information about living with your condition.
- Work together with physicians, researchers, other clinical staff and patients towards positive change.
- Learn about study participation opportunities.
- Give to your community.
We encourage you to apply to be a Patient Partner if you have:
- An interest in positive change.
- Time to give.
- Good listening skills.
- Respect for other’s views, even when they don’t match your own beliefs.
- Ability to give helpful feedback.
- Work well with others.
What might you be asked to do?
- Answer questions or fill out surveys about your heart condition or patient experience.
- Read and comment on documents related to research or patient care.
- Serve as a committee member to share your insight and experience on topics of discussion.
- Sit in on or lead a focus group or education session.
- Help us recruit other patient partners.
- Help us recruit study participants.
- Mentor new patients or research participants.
- Share results of research studies.
- Support women affected by heart disease.
- Complete administrative tasks.
If you are interested in finding out more about the expectations and responsibilities of Patient Partners, please read the Patient Partner Guide. This guide is provided to our Patient Partners when they are matched with a project.
Patient Partner Selection
There is a four-stage process to becoming a Patient Partner at the UOHI:
- Register and complete the questionnaire. The questionnaire will ask you to tell us a bit about who you are and your areas of interest. Your answers will help us match you with opportunities that make the best use of your interest, time and skills. Your answers will be kept confidential.
- Once we find a potential role for you, we will invite you for a first meeting. We want to make sure the partnership is a good fit for everyone.
- Depending on the tasks or roles assigned and the level of patient contact (if any), there may be a few more steps before you begin. We will tell you the details if this is needed. Some examples include obtaining a police records check or training.
- Once you are ready to begin your partnership, we will meet to talk about everything you need to know so that you are successful in your new role!
Please complete the following questionnaire to the best of your ability; you do not need to answer any questions you are not comfortable with.