The Ottawa Cardiovascular Research Day was held on May 13, 2019 at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI).
The Ottawa Cardiovascular Research Day celebrates the region’s research excellence through moderated oral presentations and poster sessions. It is an excellent venue for trainees to showcase their outstanding projects, hone their presentation skills, and network with faculty and colleagues.
This event is open to all cardiovascular research trainees in the Ottawa region.
The event proceedings will be in English only.
We are very pleased to have hosted the esteemed Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering Researcher and Professor at the University of Toronto, Dr. Milica Radisic, as the event’s keynote speaker.
Event prizes recognize the best oral presentations and posters, including the Polk Award for the Best Clinical Science Oral Presentation, the Coralie Lalonde Innovation Award for the most ‘innovative’ abstract, amongst others.
Ottawa Cardiovascular Region Trainee of the Year
Coralie Lalonde Innovation Award Winners
- Dr. Aizhu Lu, Postdoctoral Fellow (Supervisor: Dr. Wenbin Liang), UOHI
A novel strategy to correct the key defect causing sudden deaths in Brugada Syndrome patients
- Dr. Aws Almufleh, Cardiology Resident (Supervisor: Dr. Sharon Chih), UOHI
MicroRNA Biosignatures in Cardiac Allograft Vasculopathy
Dr. Yves Marcel Award for the Best Basic Science Oral Presentation
- Ms. Yena Oh, PhD Candidate (Supervisor: Dr. Han Kim), UOHI
The Role of Irx5 in Establishing Ventricular Transmural Gradients
Honourable Mention for a Basic Science Oral Presentation
- Dr. Anne-Claire Duchez, Postdoctoral Fellow (Supervisor: Dr. Katey Rayner), UOHI
Anti-inflammatory lipid mediator resolvin D1 decreases regulated cell death necroptosis in atherosclerosis
Award for the Best Basic Science Poster
- Mr. Uzair Sayani, MSc Candidate (Supervisor: Dr. Benjamin Rotstein), UOHI
Automated synthesis and validation of [18F]mFBG for cardiac sympathetic denervation imaging
Honourable Mention for a Basic Science Poster
- Dr. Mohammad Al-Khalaf, Postdoctoral Fellow (Supervisor: Dr. Peter Liu), UOHI
DNA damage activates inflammation via the cGAS-STING pathway inducing cardiac remodeling and senescence
Polk Award for the Best Clinical Science Oral Presentation
- Dr. Tina Zhu, Clinical Fellow (Supervisor: Dr. Thais Coutinho), UOHI
Combining aortic size with measures of aortic stiffness and pulsatile hemodynamics enhances prediction of future thoracic aortic aneurysm expansion
Honourable Mention for a Clinical Science Oral Presentation
- Dr. Kimberley Way, Postdoctoral Fellow (Supervisor: Dr. Jennifer Reed), UOHI
The effect of a single bout of aerobic exercise on arterial stiffness and central hemodynamics in adults with diabetes: a randomized controlled cross-over design study
Award for the Best Clinical Science Poster
- Mr. Jason Zelt, MD-PhD Candidate (Supervisors: Dr. Lisa Mielniczuk), UOHI
Assessing mortality risk in pulmonary arterial hypertension: from heart to kidney
Honourable Mention for a Clinical Science Poster
- Mr. Adam Merlo, MD Candidate (Supervisor: Dr. Diem Tran), UOHI
Strategies to optimize post-operative atrial fibrillation (STOP AFib) reduces new-onset atrial fibrillation in patients undergoing elective cardiac surgery
- Keynote lecture by Milica Radisic, Professor and Canada Research Chair, Associate Chair of Research, and Principal Investigator of the Laboratory for Functional Tissue Engineering, University of Toronto
- Oral presentations & moderated poster sessions
- Ottawa Region Trainee of the Year Lecture & other trainee awards
- Networking reception
- Awards ceremony
Download the 2019 Program Guide: