Dr. Pablo Nery is a staff cardiac electrophysiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI) and associate professor of medicine at the University of Ottawa.
Dr. Nery received his medical degree from the Pontifical Catholic University of Porto Alegre, Brazil in 2001. After completing internal medicine training, he spent three-and-a-half years training in cardiology, including one-and-a-half years dedicated to cardiac electrophysiology. He then completed a two-year fellowship in cardiac electrophysiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, focusing on catheter ablation of complex arrhythmias. Before joining the Division of Cardiology at the UOHI in 2008, he was a clinical scholar at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, focusing on complex arrhythmia catheter ablation.
During his training, Dr. Nery received the Young Investigator Award (1999) from Brazil’s Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, and a Research Scholarship Award (2001) from the Provincial Foundation for Research Support (FAPERGS).
Dr. Nery sits on the Canadian Heart Rhythm Society Device Committee.
Dr. Nery was recognized with the UOHI Academic Medical Organization Clinical Research Award (2019), and the UOHI Dr. Martin Green Academic Award for Excellence in Post-Graduate Education (2013). Dr. Nery has received peer reviewed funding from the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada in support of his research.
Dr. Nery’s focus is on aspects of cardiac arrhythmia diagnosis and management. He has a major clinical interest in radio-frequency ablation for atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia. He has a particular interest in the management of patients with cardiac sarcoidosis. He also specializes in device therapies for heart failure, including implantable cardioverter defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization therapy.
Dr. Nery’s research interests are directly linked to his clinical expertise. A major part of Dr. Nery’s research program is dedicated to the evaluation of innovative catheter ablation strategies for the treatment of atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia. He is also involved in research studies assessing diagnostic and treatment strategies for patients with cardiac sarcoidosis.
- Nery PB, Al Dawood W, Nair GM, Redpath CJ, Sadek MM, Chen L, Green MS, Wells G, Birnie DH. Characterization of Low-Voltage Areas in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: Insights From High-Density Intracardiac Mapping. Can J Cardiol. 2018 Aug;34(8):1033-1040.
- Sapp JL, Wells GA, Parkash R, Stevenson WG, Blier L, Sarrazin JF, Thibault B, Rivard L, Gula L, Leong-Sit P, Essebag V, Nery PB, Tung SK, Raymond JM, Sterns LD, Veenhuyzen GD, Healey JS, Redfearn D, Roux JF, Tang AS. Ventricular Tachycardia Ablation versus Escalation of Antiarrhythmic Drugs. N Engl J Med 2016;375(2):111-21.
- Nery PB, Thornhill R, Nair GM, Pena E, Redpath C. Scar-based Catheter Ablation for Persistent Atrial Fibrillation. Curr Opin Cardiol 2017; Jan;32(1):1-9.
- Ramirez FD, Birnie DH, Nair GM, Szczotka A, Redpath CJ, Sadek MM, Nery PB. Efficacy and safety of driver-guided catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2017; 28(12):1371-1378.
- Essebag V, Joza J, Nery PB, Doucette S, Nault I, Rivard L, Gula L, Deyell M, et al. Prognostic Value of Noninducibility on Outcomes of Ventricular Tachycardia Ablation: A VANISH Substudy. JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2018 Jul;4(7):911-919.
- Bennett M, Parkash R, Nery PB, Sénéchal M, Mondesert B, Birnie D, Sterns L, Rinne C, Exner D, Philippon F, Campbell D, Cox J, Dorian P, Essebag V, Krahn A, Manlucu J, Molin F, Slawnych M, Talajic M. Canadian Cardiovascular Society / Canadian Heart Rhythm Society 2016 Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Guidelines. Can J Cardiol 2017 Feb;33(2):174-188.
- Nery PB, Belliveau D, Nair GM, Bernick J, Redpath CJ, Szczotka A, Sadek MM, Green M, Wells G, Birnie DH. Relationship Between Pulmonary Vein Reconnection and Atrial Fibrillation Recurrence: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. JACC Clin Electrophysiol 2016;2(4):474-483.
- Nair GM, Yeo C, MacDonald Z, Ainslie MP, Alqarawi WA, Nery PB, Redpath CJ, Sadek M, Spence S, Green MS, Birnie DH. Three-year outcomes and reconnection patterns after initial contact force guided pulmonary vein isolation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2017 Jun 21. doi: 10.1111/jce.13280.
- Nery PB, Beanlands RS, Nair G, Green M, Yang J, Mc Ardle B, Davis D, Ohira H, Gollob M, Leung E, Healey J, Birnie DH. Atrioventricular Block as the Initial Manifestation of Cardiac Sarcoidosis in Middle-Aged Adults. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2014;25(8):875-81.
- Mc Ardle BA, Birnie DH, Klein R, de Kemp RA, Leung E, Renaud J, DaSilva J, Wells GA, Beanlands RS, Nery PB. Is there an Association Between Clinical Presentation and the Location And Extent of Myocardial Involvement of Cardiac Sarcoidosis as Assessed by 18F- Fluorodoexyglucose Positron Emission Tomography? Circulation Cardiovasc Imaging 2013;6:617-626.