Dr. Mullen is a Scientist with the Ottawa Heart Institute Research Corporation. Kerri-Anne has been with the University of Ottawa Heart Institute since 2006 where, until 2019, she managed the Ottawa Model for Smoking Cessation. Since 2019, she has been Director of the Canadian Women’s Heart Health Centre and Prevention and Wellness Centre.
She received her BSc (Hon.) at the University of Ottawa, her MSc at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and her PhD in Population Health at the University of Ottawa. She trained as a Student Scientist at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES uOttawa) between 2010 and 2015 within the Primary Care & Population Health Research Program.
Dr. Mullen’s work in nicotine addiction, women’s cardiovascular health, and CVD prevention has been funded by the Canadian Institute’s of Health Research (CIHR), the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care, Health Canada, and the Public Health Agency of Canada. She was recipient of the Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada’s Graduate Research Award in 2012 and received a two-year CIHR fellowship in Population Intervention for Chronic Disease Prevention between 2009 and 2011. She and the Ottawa Model for Smoking Cessation team were the Heather Crowe Smoke-Free Ontario Award in 2016.
Dr. Mullen is co-Chair of UOHI’s Women’s Heart Health Team and Vice Chair of the Canadian Women’s Heart Health Alliance. She is a member of the CIHR College of Reviewers and has served as an ad hoc reviewer for several high impact academic journals and scientific meetings.
Dr. Mullen’s research interests include the health services, economic, and health impacts of prevention interventions.
See current publications list at PubMed.
- Li V, Lam J, Heise P, Reid RD, Mullen KA. Implementation of a Pharmacist-led Inpatient Tobacco Cessation Intervention in a Rehabilitation Hospital: A Before and After Pilot Study. CJHP; May-June 2018, 71(3) 180-186
- Reid RD, Mullen KA, Pipe AL. Tackling smoking cessation systematically among inpatients with heart disease. CMAJ; March 26, 2018 190 (12) E345-E346.
- Reid R, Mullen KA, Pipe A. Hospital-Initiated Smoking Cessation. In: Disease Interrupted: A Clinical Guide to Tobacco Reduction and Cessation. Els C, Kunyk D, Selby P (Eds.). Toronto, ON: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. 2nd Edition, 2017.
- Mullen KA, Manuel D, Hawken S, Pipe AL, Coyle D, Hobler LA, Younger J, Wells GA, Reid RD. Effectiveness of a hospital-initiated smoking cessation program: two-year health and healthcare outcomes. Tob Control. Online First: May 25 2016 doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2015-052728
- Mullen KA, Coyle D, Manuel D, Nguyen H, Pham B, Pipe A, Reid RD. Economic Evaluation of a hospital-initiated intervention for smokers with chronic disease in Ontario, Canada. Tob Control. 2015 Sep;24(5):489-96. EPub 2014 July.
- Reid RD, Mullen KA, Pipe AL. Systematic approaches to smoking cessation in the cardiac setting. Current Opinion in Cardiology, 2011, Sep;26(5):443-448.
- Reid RD, Mullen KA, Slovinec D’Angelo ME. Aitken DA, Papadakis S, Haley PM, McLaughlin CA, Pipe AL. Smoking Cessation for Hospitalized Smokers: An Evaluation of the “Ottawa Model”. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2010; 12: 11-18.