Dr. Mullen is an Associate Scientist with the Ottawa Heart Institute Research Corporation. Kerri-Anne has been with the University of Ottawa Heart Institute since 2006 where she and her team have worked with hundreds of healthcare organizations to implement and evaluate clinical approaches to the treatment of tobacco addiction.
She received her BSc (Hon.) at the University of Ottawa, her MSc at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, and her PhD in Population Health at the University of Ottawa. She trained as a Student Scientist at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES uOttawa) between 2010 and 2015 within the Primary Care & Population Health Research Program.
Dr. Mullen was recipient of the Cardiac Health Foundation of Canada’s Graduate Research Award in 2012 and received a two-year CIHR fellowship in Population Intervention for Chronic Disease Prevention between 2009 and 2011. Along with her team, her program, the Ottawa Model for Smoking Cessation, was awarded the Heather Crowe Smoke-Free Ontario Award in 2016.
Dr. Mullen sat on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Association of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation between 2011 and 2015, where she chaired the organizing committee for its annual meeting in 2012. She has chaired or been an active member of several tobacco cessation committees at local and provincial levels. She has served as an ad hoc reviewer for several high impact academic journals and scientific meetings.
Dr. Mullen’s research interests include the health services, economic, and health impacts of prevention interventions.
See current publications list at PubMed.
- Li V, Lam J, Heise P, Reid RD, Mullen KA. Implementation of a Pharmacist-led Inpatient Tobacco Cessation Intervention in a Rehabilitation Hospital: A Before and After Pilot Study. CJHP; May-June 2018, 71(3) 180-186
- Reid RD, Mullen KA, Pipe AL. Tackling smoking cessation systematically among inpatients with heart disease. CMAJ; March 26, 2018 190 (12) E345-E346.
- Reid R, Mullen KA, Pipe A. Hospital-Initiated Smoking Cessation. In: Disease Interrupted: A Clinical Guide to Tobacco Reduction and Cessation. Els C, Kunyk D, Selby P (Eds.). Toronto, ON: Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. 2nd Edition, 2017.
- Mullen KA, Manuel D, Hawken S, Pipe AL, Coyle D, Hobler LA, Younger J, Wells GA, Reid RD. Effectiveness of a hospital-initiated smoking cessation program: two-year health and healthcare outcomes. Tob Control. Online First: May 25 2016 doi:10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2015-052728
- Mullen KA, Coyle D, Manuel D, Nguyen H, Pham B, Pipe A, Reid RD. Economic Evaluation of a hospital-initiated intervention for smokers with chronic disease in Ontario, Canada. Tob Control. 2015 Sep;24(5):489-96. EPub 2014 July.
- Reid RD, Mullen KA, Pipe AL. Systematic approaches to smoking cessation in the cardiac setting. Current Opinion in Cardiology, 2011, Sep;26(5):443-448.
- Reid RD, Mullen KA, Slovinec D’Angelo ME. Aitken DA, Papadakis S, Haley PM, McLaughlin CA, Pipe AL. Smoking Cessation for Hospitalized Smokers: An Evaluation of the “Ottawa Model”. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2010; 12: 11-18.