Dr. Terrence Ruddy is a consulting cardiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI) and a professor in the Division of Cardiology in the Department of Medicine, and cross-appointed to the Division of Nuclear Medicine in the Department of Radiology at the Ottawa Hospital. He is the former Vered university chair and head of the Division of Cardiology at the UOHI and former university chair and head of the Division of Nuclear Medicine of The Ottawa Hospital.
Dr. Ruddy graduated with an MD degree (magna cum laude) from the University of Toronto, with many awards. He completed his internship and residencies in internal medicine and cardiology at the University of Toronto, followed by a three-year clinical and research fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and at Harvard University. Dr. Ruddy received his specialist certifications in internal medicine and cardiology from the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC) and American Board Certification in internal medicine, cardiovascular disease, nuclear cardiology and clinical hypertension.
Dr. Ruddy is a clinician-scientist and an international leader in cardiovascular nuclear medicine. His research focuses on the development and validation of imaging techniques using SPECT and PET radiotracers for the diagnosis and evaluation of cardiovascular disease. He has published over 250 peer-reviewed manuscripts and book chapters in highly ranked cardiovascular journals and has an H-index of 51. Dr. Ruddy has had continuous peer-reviewed and industry funding from major agencies including the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, National Cancer Institute of Canada, and the Ontario Research Fund. He is on the editorial board of the Journal of Nuclear Cardiology. He has given over 400 presentations at national and international scientific meetings. He has trained over 100 residents and fellows in cardiac imaging and cardiology.
Dr. Ruddy established the Canadian Molecular Imaging Centre of Excellence (C-MICE®) for the development of novel radiotracers for imaging myocardial perfusion, necrosis and inflammation. Dr. Ruddy and the staff of C-MICE® have developed an iodinated I-123 rotenone derivative (C-MICE-13) for imaging myocardial perfusion and completed a phase I clinical trial. Dr. Ruddy and team have completed a Phase I clinical trial with Tc-99m labelled Rh-Annexin V-128 for imaging apoptosis and Phase II trials in patients with carotid artery disease or possible anthracycline cardiotoxicity. He has pioneered the technique of measurement of myocardial blood flow with CZT SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging.
Dr. Ruddy is past president of the Canadian Society of Nuclear Cardiology. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology. He has been a director on the Cardiovascular Council of the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging since 2009 and past president of the Cardiovascular Council (2018-2019).
Dr. Ruddy has received many awards, including the Canadian Society of Cardiovascular Nuclear and CT Imaging Annual Achievement Award (2016), the Hermann Blumgart Award from the Cardiovascular Council of the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (2019), fellowship designation (FSNMMI) in the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (2020) and master designation (MASNC) from the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology (2020).
See current publications list at PubMed
- Timmins R, Klein R, Petryk J, Marvin B, Wei L, deKemp RA, Ruddy TD, Wells RG: Reduced dose measurement of absolute myocardial blood flow using dynamic SPECT imaging in a porcine model. Med Phys 2015 Sept;42(9):5075-83.
- Wells RG, Wei L, Petryk J, Duan Y, Marvin B, Timmins R, Soueidan K, Fernando P, Bensimon C, Ruddy TD: Flow-dependent uptake of I-123-CMICE-013, a novel SPECT perfusion agent, compared to standard tracers. J Nucl Med 2015:56(5);764-770.
- Duan Y, Lockwood J, Wei L, Hunter C, Soueidan K, Bensimon C, Fernando P, Ruddy TD: Biodistribution and radiochemistry of a novel myocardial perfusion tracer Iodine-123-CMICE in healthy rats. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging Research 2014:Mar 13;4(1):16.
- Sogbein, OO, Pelletier-Galarneau, M, Schindler TH, Wei L, Wells RG, Ruddy TD: New SPECT and PET Radiopharmaceuticals for Imaging Cardiovascular Disease. Biomedical Research International 2014:942960. Epub 2014 May 11.
- Wells RG, Timmins R, Klein R, Lockwood J, Marvin B, deKemp RA, Wei L, Ruddy TD: Dynamic SPECT measurement of absolute myocardial blood flow in a porcine model. J Nucl Med 2014:55;1685-1691.
- Fernando P, Yan X, Lockwood J, Duan Y, Wei L, Wells RG, Bensimon C, Mullett WM, Ruddy TD: Toxicological evaluation of a rotenone derivative in rodents for clinical myocardial perfusion imaging. Cardiovasc Toxicol 2014:Jun;14(2):170-82.
- Wei L, Bensimon C, Yan X, Lockwood J, Gan W, Duan Y, Fernando P, Gottlieb B, Mullett W, Ruddy TD: Characterization of the four isomers of 123I-CMICE-013: A potential SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging agent. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 2014:22;2033-2044.
- Wells, RG, Marvin B, Kovalski G, Ruddy TD: Planar radionuclide angiography with a dedicated cardiac SPECT camera. J Nucl Cardiol 2013;20(3):358-66. Epub 2013 Feb 22.
- Wei,L, Bensimon C, Lockwood J, Yan X, Fernando, P, Wells RG, Duan Y, Chen Y-X, Redshaw JR, Covitz PA, Ruddy TD: Synthesis and characterization of 123I-CMICE-013: A potential SPECT myocardial perfusion imaging agent. Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 2013 Jun 1;21(11):2903-11. Epub 2013 Apr 6.
- Liu Y, Ghosh N, Dwivedi G, Chow BJ, deKemp RA, DaSilva J, Guo A, Garrard L, Beanlands RS, Ruddy TD: Identification of inflamed sortic plaque in conventional FDG-PET myocardial viability studies. Can J Cardiol 2013; Sep;29(9):1069-75.
- Wells RG, Soueidan K, Timmins R, Ruddy TD: Comparison of attenuation, dual-energy-window, and model-based scatter correction of low-count SPECT to (82)Rb PET/CT quantified myocardial perfusion scores. J Nucl Cardiol 2013:20(5);785-96. Epub 2013 Jun 5.
- Small GR, Wells RG, Schindler T, Chow BJW, Ruddy TD: Advances in cardiac SPECT and PET imaging: Overcoming the challenges to reduce radiation exposure and improve accuracy. Can J Cardiol 2013:29(3);275-284.
- Wells RG, Soueidan K, Vanderwerf K, Ruddy TD: Comparing slow- versus high-speed CT for attenuation correction of cardiac SPECT studies. J Nucl Cardiol 2012:19(4);719-726 Epub 2012 Apr 21.
- Small GR, Ruddy TD: PET imaging of aortic atherosclerosis: Is combined imaging of plaque anatomy and function an amaranthine quest or conceivable reality? J Nucl Card 2011:18(4);717-728.