Robert Chen, MD, is a staff anesthesiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute.
Dr. Chen received his medical degree from McMaster University. He completed his anesthesiology residency at the University of Toronto and a fellowship in trauma anesthesiology at the University of Miami, with further training in transesophageal echocardiography.
He was on staff for 15 years at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto devoting his time to general and cardiovascular anesthesia, perioperative echocardiography and ultrasound and critical care. During that time, he received several awards for his work as a medical educator. He joined the Heart Institute in 2015.
Dr. Chen’s professional interests include teaching, curriculum building and developing inter-specialty links for point of care ultrasound (POCUS) and focused cardiac ultrasound (FOCUS).
- Chong A, Maclaren G, Chen R, Connelly KA. Perioperative applications of deformation (myocardial strain) imaging with speckle-tracking echocardiography. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2014 Feb;28(1):128-40
- Denault A, Fayad A, Chen R. Focused ultrasound is the next step in perioperative care. Can J Anaesth. 2013 Aug;60(8):741-7.
- Socransky S and Chen R, Chapter: Advanced Cardiac EDE in Point of Care Ultrasound for Emergency Physicians (Socransky S and Wiss R eds.), © The EDE 2 Course, 2012
- Chen R. (Book and New Media Reviews) Clinical Anesthesiology Guide-Cardiac Anesthesia & Transesophageal Echocardiography. Wasnick JD et al (eds.) McGraw Hill Lange 2011. Can J Anaesth. 2012 May
- Hu R, Tousignant C, Chen R. Flow velocity patterns in the pulmonary artery and pulmonary hypertension. Can J Anaesth. 2012 Apr 19
- Chen R and Mehta S, Chapter 116: Management of Sedation and Delerium in the ICU in Elective General Surgery: An Evidence-Based Approach , Stephen Cohn and Steven Brower (Eds.) McGraw_Hill Europe; (Sept. 1, 2012)
- Yanagawa B, Alghamdi AA, Chen RB, Amankwaa A, Verma S. Coronary artery bypass graft for anomalous right coronary artery. J Card Surg. 2011 Jan;26(1):44-6
- Beaulieu Y, Bowry R, Chen R, Chapter 6 : Goal-Oriented Transthoracic and Epicardial Echocardiography : Transesophageal Echocardiography, Multimedia Manual, A Perioperative Transdiciplinary Approach. (2nd Edition), Denault Y, Couture P, Vegas A, Buitieu J, Tardif JC (Eds.) Informa Healthcare 2011
- Chen R (contributor) in: The Practice of Perioperative Transesophageal Echocardiography: Essential Cases. Perrino A, Reeves S, Glas K (eds.), Lippincott Wiliams & Wilkins, 2010
- Chen R, Chapter 86: Delerium and Sedation in ICU in Acute Care Surgery and Trauma: Evidence Based Practice, Stephen Cohn (Ed.) Informa Healthcare September 2009
- Carmona P, Bowry R, Chen R, Tousignant C. Aorto-pericardial filling without tamponade: an unusual late Bentall complication. Anesth Analg. 2009 Sep;109(3):717-9.
- Brunton J, Rigamonti A, Chen R. Cerebral Artery Diastolic Reversal Without Cerebral disase (poster). Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society Annual Meeting. Vancouver BC. June 26-30, 2009
- Joo HS, Salasidis GC, Kataoka MT, Mazer CD, Naik VN, Chen RB, Levene RG. Comparison of bolus remifentanil versus bolus fentanyl for induction of anesthesia and tracheal intubation in patients with cardiac disease. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2004 Jun;18(3):263-8.
- Joo HS, Kataoka MT, Chen RJ, Doyle J, Mazer CD. PVC tracheal tubes exert forces and pressures seven to ten times higher than silicone or armoured tracheal tubes--an in vitro study. Can J Anaesth. 2002 Nov;49(9):986-9.
- Orser BA, Chen R. Medication labels: for whose benefit? (letter) Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia; vol. 32(2) pp.194-195, 1996
- Orser BA, Chen R, Yee D. Drug errors in anaesthesia: a survey of 650 practitioners. (abstract) Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia; vol. 43(5II) pp.A13, 1996
- Epand R, Chen R. Promotion of hexagonal phase formation and lipid mixing by fatty acids with varying degrees of unsaturation. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids; vol.57(1) pp.75-80, 1991
- Cheetham JJ, Chen RJ, Epand RM. Interaction of calcium and cholesterol sulfate induces membrane destabilization and fusion: implications for the acrosome reaction.
Biochimica et Biophysica Acta; vol. 1024(2) pp.367-372, 1990.
- Epand R, Chen R. Tetraalkylammonium salts and phospholipid polymorphism. Journal of the American Chemical Society; vol. 111(17) pp.6833-6835, 1989.