Robert Chen, MD, is a staff anesthesiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute.
Dr. Chen received his medical degree from McMaster University in 1992. He completed his anesthesiology residency at the University of Toronto and fellowships in trauma anesthesiology at the Ryder Trauma Center (University of Miami) and St. Michael’s Hospital (University of Toronto). He also received further training in transesophageal echocardiography.
He was on staff for 15 years at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto with practice in traumatology, general and cardiovascular anesthesia, perioperative echocardiography, point of care ultrasound and critical care. During that time, he received several awards for his work as a medical educator. He joined the Heart Institute in 2015.
Dr. Chen’s professional interests include teaching, curriculum building and developing inter-specialty links for point of care ultrasound (POCUS).
- Chen R. Synopsis of the point-of-care ultrasound assessment for perioperative emergencies. Can J Anaesth. 2019 Apr;66(4):448-460.
- McCormick TJ, Miller EC, Chen R, Naik VN. Acquiring and maintaining point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) competence for anesthesiologists. Can J Anaesth 2018 Jan 11. doi: 10.1007/s12630-018-1049-7.
- Choo EKH, Chen R, Millington SJ, Hibbert B, Tran DTT, Posner G, Sohmer B. Remote solutions for telementoring point-of-care ultrasound echocardiography: The RESOLUTE study. Can J Anaesth 2017 Oct; 64(10): 1077-1078.
- Lambert AS, Chen R. Transesophageal lung ultrasound: to boldly go…. Can J Anaesth 2016 Nov; 63(11): 1211-4.
- Chong A, Maclaren G, Chen R, Connelly KA. Perioperative applications of deformation (myocardial strain) imaging with speckle-tracking echocardiography. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anaesth 2014 Feb;28(1):128-40.
- Denault A, Fayad A, Chen R. Focused ultrasound is the next step in perioperative care. Can J Anaesth 2013 Aug; 60(8):741-7.
- Hu R, Tousignant C, Chen R. Flow velocity patterns in the pulmonary artery and pulmonary hypertension. Can J Anaesth 2012 July; 59(7): 716-719.