Benjamin Chow, MD, is a Professor of Medicine (Cardiology and Nuclear Medicine) and Radiology at the University of Ottawa.
Dr. Chow is Clinical Cardiologist and Clinician Investigator at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. He is the Director of Cardiac Imaging (Echocardiography, Cardiac CT, Cardiac MRI, Nuclear Cardiology, Cardiac PET, Exercise stress lab, and Cardiac Radiology) and the Co-Director of Cardiac Radiology (CT, MRI and X-ray).
He leads the Ottawa region strategic research Innovation Cluster on Non-invasive Cardiovascular Imaging.
Dr. Chow obtained a BSc with Distinction in Life Sciences in 1992 and his MD in 1996 from Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. He was certified as a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC) in Internal Medicine in 2000, and Cardiology in 2002. He completed training in Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac PET at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute. Subsequently he was a Visiting Scientist at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, where he gained experience in Cardiac CT. He joined the University of Ottawa Heart Institute as Staff Cardiologist in 2003.
Dr. Chow sits on the Editorial Board of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology (IF: 15.343) and participates in the planning of international scientific meetings (American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, International Congress Non-invasive Cardiac Imaging, International Congress of Cardiology). He has been recognized internationally for his contribution to science and clinical care and is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology, Fellow of the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography and Fellow of the American Society of Nuclear Cardiology.
Dr. Chow has been recognized for his contributions to clinical cardiology, research and education. In 2006, he was awarded the University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine Young Professor Award, which is presented annually to an “individual who has made outstanding contributions to research and education”. In 2011, Dr. Chow was awarded the ‘University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine - Award of Distinction and Service’. This award recognizes faculty who have “distinguished themselves in their work, have made exemplary contributions through their work at the Faculty, whose work has greatly enhanced the Faculty’s image and who have gone beyond the “call of duty” or their job description”. In 2012, he received the UOHIAMO Academic Award for Research in Clinical Science and in 2013, he was awarded the University of Ottawa Heart Institute Clinical Science Investigator of the Year.
Dr. Chow is an active clinician with clinical duties in Cardiac Critical Care, Cardiac Imaging (Cardiac CT, Nuclear Cardiology, Cardiac PET) and Cardiac Catheterization.
Dr. Chow’s research focuses upon the: 1) establishment of new cardiac imaging modalities and/or techniques, and 2) validation of therapeutics using cardiac imaging. Although his research incorporates all advanced imaging techniques (Cardiac CT, Nuclear Cardiology, Cardiac PET and Cardiac MRI), Cardiac CT remains his primary focus.
- Chow BJ, Small G, Yam Y, Chen L, McPherson R, Achenbach S, Al-Mallah M, Berman DS, Budoff MJ, Cademartiri F, Callister TQ, Chang HJ, Cheng VY, Chinnaiyan K, Cury R, Delago A, Dunning A, Feuchtner G, Hadamitzky M, Hausleiter J, Karlsberg RP, Kaufmann PA, Kim YJ, Leipsic J, LaBounty T, Lin F, Maffei E, Raff GL, Shaw LJ, Villines TC, Min JK; on behalf/for the CONFIRM Investigators. Prognostic and Therapeutic Implications of Statin and Aspirin Therapy in Individuals With Nonobstructive Coronary Artery Disease: Results From the CONFIRM (Coronary CT Angiography Evaluation For Clinical Outcomes: An International Multicenter Registry) Registry. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2015 Feb 12.
- Mc Ardle BA, Davies RA, Chen L, Small GR, Ruddy TD, Dwivedi G, Yam Y, Haddad H, Mielniczuk LM, Stadnick E, Hessian R, Guo A, Beanlands RS, deKemp RA, Chow BJ. Prognostic value of rubidium-82 positron emission tomography in patients after heart transplant. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Nov;7(6):930-7.
- Chow BJ, Dorbala S, Di Carli MF, Merhige ME, Williams BA, Veledar E, Min JK, Pencina MJ, Yam Y, Chen L, Anand SP, Ruddy TD, Berman DS, Shaw LJ, Beanlands RS. Prognostic value of PET myocardial perfusion imaging in obese patients. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Mar;7(3):278-87.
- Small GR, Ruddy TD, Simion O, Alam M, Fuller L, Chen L, Beanlands RS, Chow BJ. Lessons from the Tc-99m shortage: implications of substituting Tl-201 for Tc-99m single-photon emission computed tomography. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013 Sep;6(5):683-91.
- Pen A, Yam Y, Chen L, Dennie C, McPherson R, Chow BJ. Discordance between Framingham Risk Score and atherosclerotic plaque burden. Eur Heart J. 2013 Apr;34(14):1075-82.
- Dwivedi G, Al-Shehri H, deKemp RA, Ali I, Alghamdi AA, Klein R, Scullion A, Ruddy TD, Beanlands RS, Chow BJ. Scar imaging using multislice computed tomography versus metabolic imaging by F-18 FDG positron emission tomography: a pilot study. Int J Cardiol. 2013 Sep 30;168(2):739-45.
- Lee AK, Yam Y, Chow BJ. Normalcy rate of computed tomographic coronary angiography. Int J Cardiol. 2012 May 31;157(2):273-4.
- Small GR, Yam Y, Chen L, Ahmed O, Al-Mallah M, Berman DS, Cheng VY, Chinnaiyan K, Raff G, Villines TC, Achenbach S, Budoff MJ, Cademartiri F, Callister TQ, Chang HJ, Delago A, Dunning A, Hadamitzky M, Hausleiter J, Kaufmann P, Lin F, Maffei E, Min JK, Shaw LJ, Chow BJ. Prognostic assessment of coronary artery bypass patients with 64-slice computed tomography angiography: anatomical information is incremental to clinical risk prediction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 Nov 29;58(23):2389-95.
- Tandon V, Hall D, Yam Y, Al-Shehri H, Chen L, Tandon K, Beanlands RS, Wells GA, Ruddy TD, Chow BJ. Rates of downstream invasive coronary angiography and revascularization: computed tomographic coronary angiography vs. Tc-99m single photon emission computed tomography. Eur Heart J. 2012 Mar;33(6):776-82.
- Chow BJ, Small G, Yam Y, Chen L, Achenbach S, Al-Mallah M, Berman DS, Budoff MJ, Cademartiri F, Callister TQ, Chang HJ, Cheng V, Chinnaiyan KM, Delago A, Dunning A, Hadamitzky M, Hausleiter J, Kaufmann P, Lin F, Maffei E, Raff GL, Shaw LJ, Villines TC, Min JK; CONFIRM Investigators. Incremental prognostic value of cardiac computed tomography in coronary artery disease using CONFIRM: COroNary computed tomography angiography evaluation for clinical outcomes: an InteRnational Multicenter registry. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011 Sep;4(5):463-72.
- Chow BJ, Ahmed O, Small G, Alghamdi AA, Yam Y, Chen L, Wells GA. Prognostic value of CT angiography in coronary bypass patients. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2011 May;4(5):496-502.
- Chow BJ, Freeman MR, Bowen JM, Levin L, Hopkins RB, Provost Y, Tarride JE, Dennie C, Cohen EA, Marcuzzi D, Iwanochko R, Moody AR, Paul N, Parker JD, O'Reilly DJ, Xie F, Goeree R. Ontario multidetector computed tomographic coronary angiography study: field evaluation of diagnostic accuracy. Arch Intern Med. 2011 Jun 13;171(11):1021-9.
- Chow BJ, Kass M, Gagné O, Chen L, Yam Y, Dick A, Wells GA. Can differences in corrected coronary opacification measured with computed tomography predict resting coronary artery flow? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011 Mar 15;57(11):1280-8.
- Abunassar JG, Yam Y, Chen L, D'Mello N, Chow BJ. Usefulness of the Agatston score = 0 to exclude ischemic cardiomyopathy in patients with heart failure. Am J Cardiol. 2011 Feb 1;107(3):428-32.
- Chow BJ, Wells GA, Chen L, Yam Y, Galiwango P, Abraham A, Sheth T, Dennie C, Beanlands RS, Ruddy TD. Prognostic value of 64-slice cardiac computed tomography severity of coronary artery disease, coronary atherosclerosis, and left ventricular ejection fraction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Mar 9;55(10):1017-28.