Dr. Le May is the Director of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute Regional STEMI Program and an Interventional Cardiologist and Professor of Medicine.
Dr. Le May received his Medical Degree in 1978 from the University of Ottawa and completed his training in Internal Medicine at the University of Southern California Medical Centre, followed by a fellowship in Cardiology at Emory University.
Currently the Director of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute Regional STEMI Program, Dr. Le May pioneered the concept of a dedicated STEMI room, which has enabled paramedics to triage STEMI patients directly to the UOHI for primary PCI, and has resulted in a 50% reduction in mortality in STEMI patients in the Ottawa region.
As a recognized clinical researcher, Dr. Le May has over 100 peer-reviewed manuscripts and 200 presentations at national and international meetings. Furthermore, he is the recipient of multiple awards, including the UOHI’s Inaugural Global Achievement Award in Clinical Leadership in 2015 and the President’s Team Spirit Award in 2016.
Dr. Le May has served as Chief Examiner for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Grant Reviewer for the Heart and Stroke Foundation, Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR) and CIHR Clinical Trials, Reviewer for Circulation and the Canadian Journal of Cardiology, and more. His professional associations include the American College of Physicians, American College of Cardiology (FACC), Canadian Medical Association, Ontario Medical Association, and the Canadian Cardiovascular Society.
Dr. Le May’s clinical interests include interventional cardiology and the management of acute coronary syndromes. His primary research focus is on developing novel strategies for the management of acute myocardial infarction.
Manuscripts Published or in Press
- Fletcher GF, Chiaramida AJ, Le May MR, Johnston BL, Thiel JE, Spratlin MC. Telephonically-monitored home exercise early after coronary artery bypass surgery. Chest 1984; 86:198-202.
- Davies RF, Le May M, Beanlands DS, Morton BC, Chambers RJ, Herbert M, Larocque B. Comparison of ioxaglate with diatrizoate in angiography of the internal mammary artery. Cathet.Cardiovasc.Diagn. 1988; 15:11-14.
- Dzavik V*, Le May M, Chan KL. Echocardiographic diagnosis of an aortocoronary venous bypass graft aneurysm. Am.Heart J. 1989; 118:619-21. *resident under supervision
- Le May MR, Beanlands DS. Pinhole balloon rupture during coronary angioplasty causing rupture of the coronary artery . Cathet.Cardiovasc.Diagn. 1990; 19:91-92.
- Waters D, Higginson L, Gladstone P, Kimball B, Le May M, Lesperance J. Design features of a controlled clinical trial to assess the effect of an HMG CoA reductase inhibitor on the progression of coronary artery disease. Canadian Coronary Atherosclerosis Intervention Trial Investigators Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto, Canada. Control Clin.Trials 1993; 14:45-74.
- David Waters, Lyall Higginson, Peter Gladstone, Brian Kimball, Michel R. Le May, Stephen Boccuzzi, Jacques Lespérance, the CCAIT Study Group. Effects of Monotherapy with an HMG-CoA Reductase Inhibitor on the Progression of Coronary Atherosclerosis as Assessed by Serial Quantitative Arteriography. - The Canadian Coronary Atherosclerosis Intervention Trial -. Circulation, 1994; 3:959-968.
- Waters D, Higginson L, Gladstone P, Boccuzzi SJ, Cook T, Lesperance J. Effects of cholesterol lowering on the progression of coronary atherosclerosis in women. A Canadian Coronary Atherosclerosis Intervention Trial (CCAIT) Substudy. Circulation 1995; 92:2404-10.
- Waters D, Lesperance J, Gladstone P, Boccuzzi SJ, Cook T, Hudgin R, Krip G, Higginson L. Effects of cigarette smoking on the angiographic evolution of coronary atherosclerosis. A Canadian Coronary Atherosclerosis Intervention Trial (CCAIT) Substudy. CCAIT Study Group. Circulation 1996; 94:614-21.
- Le May MR, Higginson LA, Tang AS, Marquis JF. Refractory ventricular fibrillation complicating acute myocardial infarction terminated by intracoronary stenting. Cathet.Cardiovasc.Diagn. 1996; 37:174-77.
- Le May MR, Labinaz M, Beanlands RS, Laramee LA, O'Brien ER, Marquis J-F, Williams WL, Al Sadoon K, Davies RF, Kearns SA, Johansen HL, Higginson LA. Usefulness of intracoronary stenting in acute myocardial infarction. Am.J.Cardiol. 1996; 78:148-52.
- Madan M*, Le May MR, Walley VM, Higginson LA. Coronary stenting in acute myocardial infarction--patency demonstrated postmortem. Can.J.Cardiol. 1996; 12:919-23. *resident under supervision
- The effect of digoxin on mortality and morbidity in patients with heart failure. The Digitalis Investigation Group. N.Engl.J.Med . 1997; 336:525-33.
- Le May M, Labinaz M, Beanlands R, Laramée L, O'Brien E, Marquis J-F, Williams W, Davies RF, Higginson L. Stent Implantation in Acute Myocardial Infarction. Cardiology Review, 1997; 14:49-52.
- Le May MR, Labinaz M, Marquis JF, O'Brien ER, Beanlands RS, Laramee LA, Williams WL, Davies RF, Kearns SA, Higginson LA. Late clinical and angiographic follow-up after stenting in evolving and recent myocardial infarction. Am.Heart J. 1998; 135:714-18.
- Inhibition of the platelet glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor with tirofiban in unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction. Platelet Receptor Inhibition in Ischemic Syndrome Management in Patients Limited by Unstable Signs and Symptoms (PRISM-PLUS) Study Investigators. N.Engl.J.Med. 1998; 338: 1488-97.
- A comparison of aspirin plus tirofiban with aspirin plus heparin for unstable angina. Platelet Receptor Inhibition in Ischemic Syndrome Management (PRISM) Study Investigators. N.Engl.J.Med. 1998; 338:1498-505.
- Madan M, Marquis JF, Le May MR, Laramee LA, Leddy D, O'Brien E, Williams WL, Higginson LA, Jelley J, Reid F, Johansen H, Labinaz M. Coronary stenting in unstable angina: early and late clinical outcomes. Can.J.Cardiol. 1998; 14:1109-14.
- Le May MR, Labinaz M, Marquis JF, Laramee LA, O'Brien ER, Williams WL, Jelley JL, Woodend K, Higginson LA. Predictors of long-term outcome after stent implantation in a saphenous vein graft. Am.J.Cardiol. 1999; 83:681-86.
- Beanlands RS, Labinaz M, Ruddy TD, Marquis JF, Williams W, Le May M, Laramee LA, O'Brien E, Kearns SA, Aung M, Johansen H, Higginson LA. Establishing an approach for patients with recent coronary occlusion: identification of viable myocardium. J.Nucl.Cardiol. 1999; 6:298-305.
- Kong W*, Le May MR, Labinaz M, Davies RA. Stenting of an unprotected left main coronary artery stenosis in a cardiac transplant patient . Can.J.Cardiol. 1999; 15:1131-35. *resident under supervision
- Glover CA*, Le May MR, Jelley JL, Doucette PA, Higginson LA. Usefulness of the electrocardiogram in predicting stent patency in patients presenting with chest pain within one month of coronary stenting. Am.J.Cardiol. 2000; 86:458-60. *resident under supervision
- Le May MR, Labinaz M, Davies RF, Marquis JF, Laramee LA, O'Brien ER, Williams WL, Beanlands RS, Nichol G, Higginson LA. Stenting versus thrombolysis in acute myocardial infarction trial (STAT). J.Am.Coll.Cardiol. 2001; 37:985-91.
- Scott NS*, Le May MR, de Kemp R, Ruddy TD, Labinaz M, Marquis JF, Laramee LA, O'Brien ER, Williams WL, Higginson LA, Beanlands RS. Evaluation of myocardial perfusion using rubidium-82 positron emission tomography after myocardial infarction in patients receiving primary stent implantation or thrombolytic therapy . Am.J.Cardiol. 2001; 88:886-9, A6. *resident under supervision
- Le May MR, Davies RF, Labinaz M, Sherrard H, Marquis JF, Laramee LA, O'Brien ER, Williams WL, Beanlands RS, Nichol G, Higginson LA. Hospitalization costs of primary stenting versus thrombolysis in acute myocardial infarction: cost analysis of the Canadian STAT Study. Circulation 2003; 108:2624-30.
- McLellan CS, Le May MR, Labinaz M. Current Reperfusion Strategies for ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction: a Canadian perspective. Can.J.Cardiol. 2004; 20:525-33.
- Le May M. What is the Role of Clopidogrel in STEMI? Perspectives in Cardiology, Vol 20. No 3 March 2004. Le May M, Kurdi, M, Labinaz M, C Glover, So D, Ryan S, Davies RF. The safety of coronary stenting with ultra low dose heparin and eptifibatide. Am.J.Cardiol 2005, 95:630-632.
- Le May M, Commentary on: Routine stenting, but not abciximab, improves outcomes for people with diabetes and acute myocardial infarction receiving primary PCI. Evid Based Cardiovasc Med.2005 Jun;9(2):132-5.
- Le May M, Labinaz, M Turek, D Leddy, T McKibbin, B Quinn, C Glover, JF Marquis, WL Williams, E O’Brien, GA Wells, LA Higginson. Combined Angioplasty and Pharmacological Intervention Versus Thrombolytics Alone in Acute Myocardial Infarction (CAPITAL AMI Study): J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Aug 2; 46(3):417-24.
- Kulik A, Le May M, Wells GA, Mesana TG, Ruel M. The clopidogrel after surgery for coronary artery disease (CASCADE) randomized controlled trial: clopidogrel and aspirin versus aspirin alone after coronary bypass surgery [NCT00228423].Curr Control Trials Cardiovasc Med. 2005 Oct 11; 6(1):15.
- Derek So, Andrew Ha, Michele Turek, Justin Maloney, Lyall Higginson, Sheila Ryan, Michel Le May. Comparison of Mortality Patterns in Patients with ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction Arriving by Emergency Medical Services versus Self-Transport (From the Prospective Ottawa Hospital STEMI Registry): Am J Cardiol.2006 Feb 15; 97(4):458-61.
- Eric Boersma and the Primary Coronary Angioplasty versus Thrombolysis (PCAT)-2 Trialists’ Collaborative Group. Does time matter? A pooled analysis of randomized clinical trials comparing primary percutaneous coronary intervention and in-hospital fibrinolysis in acute myocardial infarction patients . European Heart Journal (2006) 27, 779–.
- Jean-Claude Tardif, MD, Jean Grégoire, MD, Philippe L. L’Allier, MD, Reda Ibrahim, MD, Marc-André Lavoie, MD, Michel Le May, MD, Eric Cohen, MD, Sylvie Levesque, MSc,Pierre-Frédéric Keller, MD, Therese Heinonen, DVM, and Marie-Claude Guertin, PhD. Effect of Atherosclerotic Regression on Total Luminal Size of Coronary Arteries as Determined by Intravascular Ultrasound. Am J Cardiol 2006;98:23–
- Collet, Jean-Philippe, Montalescot, Gilles, Le May, Michel, Borentain, Maria, Gershlick, Anthony. Percutaneous Coronary Intervention after Fibrinolysis: A Multiple Meta-Analyses Approach According to the Type of Strategy. J. Am. Coll.Cardiol.2006: 48 (7): 1326-1335
- Michel R. Le May, Richard F. Davies, Richard Dionnne, Justin Maloney, John Trickett, Derek So, Andrew Ha, Heather Sharrard, Chris Glover, Jean-Francois Marquis, Edward R. O’ Brien, Ian G. Stiell, Pierre Poirier, Marino Labinaz. Comparison of Early Mortality of Paramedic-Diagnosed ST-segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction with Immediate Transport to a Designated Primary Percutaneoous Coronary Intervention Center to that of Similar Patients Transported to the Nearest Hospital. Am J Cardiol 2006 98 (10):1329-1333
- Michel R. Le May, Richard Dionne, Justin Maloney, John Trickett, Irene Watpool, Michel Ruest, Ian Stiell, Sheila Ryan, Richard F. Davies. Diagnositic performance and potential clinical impact of advanced care paramedic interpretation of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction in the field. Can J Emergency Medicine 2006 8 (6):401-407
- Gauthier, N., Le May, MR. Percutaneous coronary intervention for left main coronary artery disease. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2007 March; 5(2) 213-20.
- Timmer, J, et al. Primary Precutaneous Coronary Intervention Compared with Fibrinolysis for Myocardial Infarction in Diabetes Mellitus (Results from the Primary Coronary Angiography vs. Thrombolysis-2 Trial).Arch Intern Med. 2007;167 (13):1353-1359
- Adam B. Greenbaum, E. Magnus Ohman, C. Micheael Gibson, Steven Borzak, Amanda L. Stebbins, Mei Lu, Michel R. Le May, Jill E. Stankowski, Hakan Emanuelsson, W. Douglas Weaver. Preliminary experience with intravenous P2Y12 platelet receptor inhibition as an adjunct to reduced-dose alteplase during acute myocardial infarction: Results of the Safety, Tolerability and Effect on Patency in Acute Myocardial Infarction (STEP-AMI) angiographic trial. American Heart Journal Volume 154, Number 4. June 4, 2007
- Michel R Le May, Derek Y So, Richard Dionne, Chris A Glover, Michael PV Froeschl, George A Wells, Richard F Davies, Heather L Sherrard, Justin Maloney, Jean-Francois Marquis, Edward R O’Brien, John Trickett, Pierre Poirier, Sheila C Ryan, Andrew Ha, Phil G Joseph, Marino Labinaz. A Citywide Protocol for Primary PCI in ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. New England Journal of Medicine Vol 358:231-240, January 17, 2008.
- Tardif J.C., Gregoire J., L'Allier P.L., Ibrahim R., Anderson T.J., Reeves F., Title L.M., Schampaert E., LeMay M., Lesperance J., Scott R., Guertin M.C., Brennan M.L., Hazen S.L., Bertrand O.F.Effects of the antioxidant succinobucol (AGI-1067) on human atherosclerosis in a randomized clinical trial, Atherosclerosis. 2008 Mar;197(1):480-6. Epub 2007 Jan 9.
- So D, Cook EF, Le May M, Glover C, Williams W, Ha A, Davies R, Froeschl M, Marquis JF, O'Brien E, Labinaz M. Association of aspirin dosage to clinical outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention: observations from the Ottawa Heart Institute PCI Registry. J Invasive Cardiol.2009 Mar;21(3):121-7
- Michel R. Le May, MD; George A. Wells, PhD; Chris A. Glover, MD; Derek Y. So, MD; Michael Froeschl, MD; Jean-François Marquis, MD; Edward R. O'Brien, MD; Michele Turek, MD; Allyson Thomas, RN; Malek Kass, MD; Sachin Jadhav, MD and Marino Labinaz, MD. Primary Percutaneous Coronary Angioplasty With and Without Eptifibatide in ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction: A Safety and Efficacy Study of Integrilin-Facilitated Versus Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction (ASSIST). Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions. August 2009;2:330-338
- Borgia F, Goodman SG, Halvorsen S, Cantor WJ, Piscione F, Le May MR, Fernandez-Aviles F, Sánchez PL, Dimopoulos K, Scheller B, Armstrong PW, Di Mario C. Early routine percutaneous coronary intervention after fibrinolysis vs. standard therapy in ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: a meta-analysis. European Heart Journal Advance Access published July 2, 2010. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehq204
- Sonny Dandona, MD, Alexandre F. R. Stewart, PHD, Li Chen, MSC, Kathryn Williams, MS, Derek So, MD, Ed O’Brien, MD, Christopher Glover, MD, Michel LeMay, MD, Olivia Assogba, BA, Lan Vo, MSC, Yan Qing Wang, BS, Marino Labinaz, MD, George A. Wells, PHD, Ruth McPherson, MD, PHD, Robert Roberts, MD. Gene Dosage of the Common Variant 9p21 Predicts Severity of Coronary Artery Disease. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. August 2010; 56(6): 479–86.
- Alexander Kulik, Michel R. Le May, Pierre Voisine, Jean-Claude Tardif, Robert DeLarochelliere , Sarika Naidoo, George A. Wells, Thierry G. Mesana, Marc Ruel. Aspirin plus clopidogrel versus aspirin alone after coronary artery disease grafting: The clopidogrel after surgery for coronary artery disease (CASCADE) Trial. Circulation published online December 6, 2010. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATION.110.978007.
- Goncalves SC, Labinaz M, Le May M, Glover C, Froeschl M, Marquis JF, O'Brien E, Shukla D, Ruchin P, Sookur D, Ha A, So D. Usefulness of mean platelet volume as a biomarker for long-term outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention. Am J Cardiol.2011 Jan 15;107(2):204-9. Epub 2010 Dec 2.
- Michel R. Le May, Richard Dionne, Justin Maloney, Pierre Poirier. Progress in Cardiovascular The Role of Paramedics in a Primary PCI Program for ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Diseases. November 2010 (Vol. 53, Issue 3, Pages 183-187)
- Collaboration: Sanneke P. M. de Boer, Elizabeth H. Barnes, Cynthia M. Westerhout, R. John Simes, Christopher B. Granger, Adnan Kastrati, Petr Widimsky, Menko Jan de Boer, Felix Zijlstra, M & Eric Boersma. High-risk patients with ST-elevation myocardial infarction derive greatest absolute benefit from primary percutaneous coronary intervention: Results from the Primary Coronary Angioplasty Trialist versus Thrombolysis (PCAT)-2 Collaboration. American Heart Journal. March 2011; 161(3): 500-507.
- Sanneke P.M. de BoerMD, Cynthia M. WesterhoutPhD, R. John SimesMD, PhD, Christopher B. GrangerMD, PhD, Felix ZijlstraMD, PhD, Eric BoersmaPhD, and PCAT-2 (Primary Coronary Angioplasty Versus Thrombolysis-2) Trialists Collaborators Group. Mortality and Morbidity Reduction by Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Is Independent of the Patient's Age. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions Volume 3, Issue 3, March 2010, Pages 324-331. PCAT-2 Collaborators: HR Andersen, F Akhras , H Aoki, PW Armstrong, T Aversano, F Bär, MJ de Boer, MA DeWood, E Garcia, RJ Gibbon, C Granger, L Grinfeld, CL Grines, A Kastrati, S Kedev, M LeMay, J Morais, E Ribeiro, F Ribichini (Cuneo, Italy), A Schomig , WD Weaver, P Widimsky, F Zijlstra.
- Simard T, Hibbert B, Chong AY, Ruchin P, Le May M, Labinaz M, Froeschl M, So D, Glover C, Marquis JF, O'Brien E. Unprotected left main coronary artery stenting with zotarolimus (endeavor) drug-eluting stents: A single center retrospective experience. Catheter & Cardiovascular Intervention. 2011 Jul 29. doi: 10.1002/ccd.23244. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cardiovascular System / Canadian Medical Association Complete Home Medical Guide, September 2005.
- Textbook of STEMI Interventions. Second edition. Chapter 21. The Ottawa Regional Model for Primary PCI: Five Years of Growth, Development and Sustainability. December 2010.