Dr. Thierry Mesana is the President and Chief Executive Officer of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and Professor of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Ottawa.
A native of France, Dr. Mesana is recognized as one of the leading heart valve surgeons in the world. He received his medical degree at the Université de la Méditerranée, Marseille, France, where he trained in thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. He received his PhD in biophysics and biomechanics at the same university after extensive experimental work on artificial hearts and ventricular assist devices.
In 1991, Dr. Mesana was, at the time, the youngest cardiac surgeon in France to receive a full professorship. He then became the Chair of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery at La Timone University Hospital, the largest hospital in Marseilles, where he introduced a number of advanced techniques and greatly expanded the cardiac surgery program. He was Visiting Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, from 1996 to 1997.
Dr. Mesana was appointed Chief of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute in 2001. In this role through 2012, he led significant changes in the Division of Cardiac Surgery. Under his leadership, the Institute’s valve repair program has become recognized as one of the best in the world.
His emphasis on repairing failing heart valves helped to establish this approach as a gold standard for treatment. In addition, he has encouraged the development of minimally invasive surgical procedures for coronary bypass grafting and complex cardiac arrhythmias, and during his tenure the Institute marked the milestone of its 500th heart transplant. Just as importantly, Dr. Mesana has been instrumental in fostering collaboration across scientific and clinical boundaries, always with the goal of enhancing patient care.
Dr. Mesana became President and Chief Executive Office of the Heart Institute in 2014. Dr. Mesana is certified by the European Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery and the French College of Cardiothoracic Surgery. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
He has authored over 300 scientific publications and has been an invited lecturer in many national and international symposia.
Dr. Mesana’s specialty interests include adult cardiac surgery, valvular heart disease, mitral valve repair, surgery of thoracic aorta and aortic dissection, and surgery of heart failure, including heart transplantation, ventricular assist devices, and cardiomyoplasty.
He is recognized as one of the world’s leading heart valve surgeons, with specific emphasis in mitral valve repair. His leadership led to significant changes in the Division of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, with the rapid development of complex and innovative mitral valve repair techniques in degenerative or ischemic disease, and the development of surgical ablation for atrial fibrillation.
He has also strongly supported and contributed to research in myocardial regeneration and endothelial stem cells. His group in Ottawa has published extensive studies related either to basic research in angiogenesis or to clinical research into long-term follow-up of patients with heart valve prostheses. These include studies on aortic prosthesis mismatch, predictors of long-term outcome, such as stroke, heart failure, mitral valve prosthetic mismatch, tissue valve durability, and re-operation rates.
Dr. Mesana has been directly involved in most of the research projects in the Division of Cardiac Surgery.
- Mesana T, V.Chan. S Chaudry, M.Ruel. Impact of Mitral Annular Calcification on early and late outcomes following mitral valve repair of myxomatous disease. Presented at EACTS meeting 2012, Accepted for publication in European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (Dec 10, 2012)
- Mesana T. Ischemic Mitral regurgitation: the challenge goes on. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2012 Mar;27(2):108-10
- Al-Atassi T, Lam K, Forgie M, Boodhwani M, Rubens F, Hendry P, Masters R, Goldstein W, Bedard P, Mesana T, Ruel M. Cerebral micro embolization after bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement: comparison of warfarin plus aspirin versus aspirin only. Circulation. 2012 Sep 11; 126 (11 Suppl 1):S239-44.
- Chan V, Ruel M, Chaudry S, Lambert S, Mesana T. Clinical and echocardiographic outcomes after repair of mitral valve bileaflet prolapse due to myxomatous disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 Apr;143(4 Suppl):S8-11. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2012.01.046. Epub 2012 Feb 4.
- Elmistekawy E, Chan V, Bourke ME, Dupuis JY, Rubens FD, Mesana T, Ruel M. Off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting does not preserve renal function better than on-pump coronary artery bypass grafting: results of a case-matched study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 Jan; 143(1):85-92.
- Chan V, Lam BK, Rubens FD, Hendry P, Masters R, Mesana T, Ruel M. Long-term evaluation of biological versus mechanical prosthesis use at reoperative aortic valve replacement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012 ul; 144(1):146-51.
- Tran DT, Dupuis JY, Mesana T, Ruel M, Nathan HJ. Comparison of the Euro SCORE and Cardiac Anesthesia Risk Evaluation (CARE) score for risk-adjusted mortality analysis in cardiac surgery. Eur J Cardiothoracic Surg. 2012 Feb;41(2):307-13
- Lapierre H, Chan V, Sohmer B, Mesana T, Ruel M. Minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting via a small thoracotomy versus off-pump: a case-matched study. Eur J Cardiothoracic Surg. 2011 Oct; 40(4):804-10.
- Chan V, Ruel M, Mesana T. Mitral valve replacement is a viable alternative to mitral valve repair for ischemic mitral regurgitation: a case-matched study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011 Oct;92(4):1358-65; discussion 1365-6.
- Chan V, Malas T, Lapierre H, Boodhwani M, Lam BK, Rubens FD, Hendry PJ, Masters RG, Goldstein W, Mesana T, Ruel M. Reoperation of left heart valve bioprostheses according to age at implantation. Circulation.2011 Sep13;124 (Suppl):S75-80
- Chan V, Jamieson WR, Lam BK, Ruel M, Ling H, Fradet G, Mesana T. Influence of the On-X mechanical prosthesis on intermediate-term major thromboembolism and hemorrhage: a prospective multicenter study. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Nov; 140(5):1053-8.
- Grisoli D, Chan V, Tran A, Ressler L, Nicholson D, Hynes M, Ruel M, Mesana T. Frequency and surgical management of complex posterior leaflet prolapse of the Mitral valve. J Heart Valve Dis. 2010 Sep;19(5):568-75
- Verma S, Mesana T. Mitral Valve Repair for Mitral Valve Prolapse. N Eng J Med 2009 Dec 3, 361(23): 2261-9.
- Chan V, Burwash IG, Lam BK, Auyeung T, Tran A, Mesana T, Ruel M. Indications for Tricuspid Valve Repair in Patients with Tricuspid Regurgitation at the time of Mitral Valve Replacement: Evidence from Echocardiographic, Functional, and Survival Data. Ann Thorac Surg 2009;88;1209-15
- Chan V, Grisoli D, Ruel M, Veinot J, Mesana T. Surgical approach to repair of ruptured chordate tendinae causing tricuspid regurgitation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2009 Jan; 137(1):e30-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2008.03.020. Epub 2008 May 2
- McGinn JT Jr, Usman S, Lapierre H, Pothula VR, Mesana T, Ruel M. Minimally invasive coronary artery bypass grafting: dual-center experience in 450 consecutive patients. Circulation. 2009 Sep 15; 120(11 Suppl):S78-84.
- Ruel M, Beanlands RD, Lortie M, Chan V, Camack N, deKemp RA, Suuronen EJ, Rubens FD, DaSilva JN, Selke FW, Stewart DJ, Mesana T. Concomitant treatment with oral L-arginine Improves the efficacy of surgical angiogenesis in patients with severe diffuse coronary artery disease: The Endothelial Modulation in Angiogenic Therapy (EMAT) Randomized controlled trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008 Apr; 135(4) 762-70. 770.e1
- Boodhwani M, Nathan HJ, Mesana T, Rubens FD; Cardiotomy Investigators. Effects of Shed Mediastinal Blood on Cardiovascular and pulmonary function: a randomized double –blind study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2008ct; 86(4)1167-73.
- Rodriguez A, Nathan H, Ruel M, Rubens F, Dafoe D, Mesana T. A method to distinguish between gaseous and solid cerebral emboli in patients with prosthetic heart valves. Euro J of Cardio-thoracic Surgery 35 (2009) 89-95.
- Mesana T. High-Risk Cardiac Surgery: Clinical Judgment Prevails on Risk Stratification. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2008 Mar; 23(2):97-8.
- Ruel M, Chan V, Bedard P, Kulik A, Ressler L, Lam BK, Rubens FD, Goldstein WG, Hendry PJ, Masters RG, Mesana T. Very Long-Term Survival Implications of Heart Valve Replacement with Tissue versus Mechanical Prostheses in Adults less than 60 Year of Age. Circulation 116:1294-300; 2007.
- Lam BK, Chan V, Hendry P, Ruel M, Masters R, Bédard P, Goldstein W, Rubens F, Mesana T. The impact of patient-prosthesis mismatch on late outcomes after Mitral valve replacement. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007 Jun; 133(6):1464-73. Epub 2007Apr 27
- Mesana T, Ibrahim M, Kulik A, Ruel M, Dover K, Nicholson D, Hynes M. The “Hybrid Flip-Over” Technique for Anterior Leaflet Prolapse Repair. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007 Jan; 83(1):322-3.
- Ruel M, Al-Faleh H, Kulik A, Chan KL, Burwash I, Mesana T. Patient-prosthesis mismatch in patients with left ventricular dysfunction at the time of aortic valve replacement: impact on survival, freedom from heart failure, and left ventricular mass regression. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg with feature editorial. 2006. 131:1036-44; 2006
- Mesana T, Kulik A, Ruel M, Hendry P, Masters R, Rubens FD, Bedard P, Lam BK. Combined atrial fibrillation ablation with mitral valve surgery. J Heart Valve Dis. 2006 Jul; 15(4):515-20.
- Mesana T. Percutaneous Valve Technology: A Historical Opportunity for Cardiac Surgeons. Curr Opin Cardiol. Mar 2006. Special Edition on Valve Surgery
- Ruel M, KapilaV, Price J, Kulik A, Burwash G, Mesana T. Natural history and predictors of outcome in patients with concomitant functional mitral regurgitation at the time of aortic valve replacement.Circulation.2006 Jul 4;114(1 Suppl):I541-6.
- Collart F, Feier H, Kerbaul F, Mouly-Bandini, Riberi A, Mesana T. Valvular surgery in Octogenarians: Operative Risks Factors, Evaluation of Euroscore and Long Term Results. Feb 27 (2) 276-80Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005 Feb; 27(2):276-80.
- Ruel M, Suuronen EJ, Song J, Kapila V, Gunning D, Waghray G, Rubens F, Mesana T. Effects of Off-Pump Versus On-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting on Function and Viability of Circulating Endothelial Progenitor Cells. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. Sep 2005. Sep; 130(3):633-9.
- Mesana T, Ibrahim M, Hynes M. A Technique for Annular Plication to Facilitate Sliding Plasty After Extensive Mitral Valve Posterior Leaflet Resection. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005 Feb; 79(2):655-65.
- Ruel M, Rubens FD, Masters RG, Pipe AL, Bédard P, Mesana T. Late incidence and predictors of persistent or recurrent heart failure in patients with Mitral prosthetic valves. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004 Aug; 128(2):278-83.
- Ruel M, Masters RG, Rubens FD, Bédard PJ, Pipe AL, Goldstein WG, Hendry PJ, Mesana T. Late incidence and determinants of stroke after aortic and mitral valve replacement. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004 Jul; 78(1):77-83; discussion 83-4.
- Mesana T. Rotary blood pumps for cardiac assistance: a “must”? Artif Organs. 2004 Feb; 28(2):218-25. Review. Cited as top 25 articles read in 2004 in Blackwell Editions
- Ruel M, Rubens FD, Masters RG, Pipe AL, Bedard P, Hendry PJ, Lam BK, Burwash IG, Goldstein WG, Brais MP, Keon WJ, Mesana T. Late incidence and predictors of persistent or recurrent heart failure in patients with aortic prosthetic valves. 2004 Jan; 127(1):149-59 J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg.
- Mesana T, Collart F, Caus T, Salamand A. Q Fever Endocarditis; A Surgical View and a Word of Caution. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003 Jan; 125(1):217-8.
- Mekkaoui C, Rolland PH, Friggi A, Rasigni, Mesana T . Pressure – Flow Loops and Instantaneous Impedance in the Thoracic Aorta; Another Way to Assess the Impact of Aortic Bypass Graft Implantation on the Myocardial, Brain and Subdiaphgramatic Perfusion. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2003; 125(3) 699-710. Also PhD Thesis (Mekkaoui) subject with Dr Mesana, President of PhD Thesis Jury
- Salamand A, Collart F, Caus T, Casalta JP, Mouly BA, Monties JR, Habib G, Raoult GD, Mesana T.Q Fever Endocarditis: Over 14 years of Surgical Experience in a Referral Center for Ricketsioses. Journal of Heart Valve Disease. 2002 Jan;11(1):84-90
- Hendry P, Masters R, Davies R, Haddad H, Struthers C, Lavallee G, Glasgow I, Mesana T. A Sixteen Year Experience with Mechanical Circulatory Support at the Ottawa Heart Institute. Can J Cardiol 18 Supp B; 215B, 2002.
- Caus T, Calon D, Collart F, Bouly BA, Serree YY, Mesana T. Parsonnet’s Risk Score Predicts Late Survival but not Late Functional Results after Aortic Valve Replacement in Octogenarians. J Heart Valve Dis 2002 Jul; 11(4):498-503.
- Caus T, Frapier JM, Giorgi R, Aymard T, Riberi A, Albat B, Chaptal PA, Mesana T. Clinical Outcome after Repair of Acute Type A Dissection in Patients over 70 Years Old. Eur J of Cardiothorac Surg Aug: 22(2):211-7.
- Caus T, Rouviere P, Collart F, Mouly-Bandini A, Monties JR, Mesana T. Late Results of Double Valve Replacement with Biological or Mechanical Prostheses. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2001 May;71(5 Suppl):S261
- Mesana T, Caus T, Gaubert J, Collart F, Ayari R, Bartoli J, Moulin G, Monties J. Late complications after prosthetic replacement of the ascending aorta: what did we learn from routine magnetic resonance imaging follow-up? Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2000 Sep;18(3):313-20
- Mesana T, Collart F, Caus T, Pomane C, Graziani N, Bruder N, Dufour H, Grisoli F, Montiès JR. Centrifugal pumps and heparin-coated circuits in surgical treatment of giant cerebral aneurysms. Artif Organs. 2000 Jun; 24(6):431-6.
- Mesana T, F. Collart, T. Caus, C. Pomane, N. Graziani, N. Brunder, H. Dufour, F. Grisoli, J.R. Monties.Centrifugal Pumps and Heparin-Coated Circuits in Surgical Treatment of Giant Cerebral Aneurysms. Artif Organs. 2000 Jun; 24(6):431-436.
- Mesana T, O. Ghez, J.S. Martin, M.H. Danton, S.D. Grachev, K.Q. Flores S, R.G. Laurence, L.H. Cohn and J.G. Byrne. Experimental Aortomyoplasty Improves Systolic and Diastolic Performance in Chronic Ischemic Cardiomyopathy. Presented at 79th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, New Orleans, April 18-21, 1999. AATS Abstract 1999, F19, p. 204.
- Mesana T, A. Mouly-Bandini, S. Ferzoco, F. Collart, T. Caus, R.M. Reul, J.R. Monties, F. J. Schoen and L.H. Cohn. Dynamic Aortomyoplasty: Clinical Experience and Thoracoscopic Surgery Feasibility Study. J Cardiac Surgery, 1998, 13(1):60-9
- Mesana T, Ferzoco SJ, Reul RM, Sayeed-Shah U, Karamichalis JM, Laurence RG, Schoen FJ, Cohn LH. Innovative techniques in skeletal muscle cardiac assistance: first experimental study on minimally invasive aortomyoplasty and cardiomyoplasty. ASAIO J. 1997 Sep-Oct;43(5):M791-6
- JR. Monties, Mesana T, J. Trinkl, P. Havlik, J.L. Demunck. Cora Valveless Pulsatile Rotary Pump: New Design and Control. JR. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 1996, 61, 1: 463-468.
- Mesana T, A.Riberi, T. Caus, A. Goudard, A. Mouly, G. Habib, J.R. Monties. Aortic Valve Replacement with Homograft for Acute Endocarditis. Cardiovasc. Surg. 1996; IV - supp I: 94.
- P.E. Fournier, J.P. Casalta, G. Habib, Mesana T, D. Raoult. Modification of the Diagnostic Criteria Proposed by the Duke Endocarditis Service to Permit Improved Diagnosis of Q fever Endocarditis. The American Journal of Medicine, 1996, 100: 629-633.
- Mesana T, Morita S, Trinkl J, Demunck JL, Gauthier T, Aucomte F, Havlik P, Montiès JR. Experimental use of a semi pulsatile rotary blood pump for cardiopulmonary bypass. Artif Organs. 1995 Jul;19(7):734-8
- Pont, J. Vion-Dury, M. Krit, A. Mouly-Bandini, M. Sciaky, P. Viout, S. Confort-Gouny, Mesana T, M. Goudard, J.R. Monties, P.J. Cozzone. N.M.R. Spectroscopy of Plasma during Acute Rejection of Transplanted Hearts. The Lancet, 1991, 337, 792-793.
- Mesana T, Mitsui N, Trinkl J, Demunck JL, Havlik P, Montiès JR. First significant animal survival with a Wankel-type left ventricular assist device. ASAIO Trans. 1991 Jul-Sep;37(3):M166-8
- Mesana T, J.R. Monties, P. Havlik, J. Trinkl Le coeur artificiel rotatif: un nouveau concept de ventricule artificiel destiné à l'assistance circulatoire ou au remplacement cardiaque. Premiers résultats expérimentaux. Annales de Chirurgie Thor. et Cardio.-vasc., 1987, 41, 6, 401-404. In French
- Mesana T, J.R. Monties, P. Havlik Le coeur artificiel. La Recherche, 1986, 17, 178, 776-786. In French.