Ian Paterson, MD, is a cardiologist at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute and a professor in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ottawa.
Dr. Paterson received his medical degree from McGill University in 1995. He completed post-graduate medical training in internal medicine, cardiology, and echocardiography in 2002. He subsequently completed a fellowship in cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) at the National Institutes of Health. The University of Alberta recruited him to its division of cardiology in 2004. Dr. Paterson served as director of residency training in adult cardiology from 2009-2017. He continued as an associate program director thereafter. Dr. Paterson was co-founder and clinical director of the Edmonton Cardio-Oncology Program and academic/research director for cardiac MRI at the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute.
Dr. Paterson is a board member of the Canadian Cardiac Oncology Network and the Canadian Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. He has chaired and/or co-authored position statements and guidelines, and has led CIHR-funded, multi-centre clinical trials in cardio-oncology and cardiac MRI.
Dr. Paterson joined the UOHI in 2022 as co-lead of the Cardiac MRI Program and director of the Canadian Centre for Rare Cardiac Conditions.
Dr. Paterson’s research interests include cardiovascular imaging in heart failure, cardiomyopathy, cardio-oncology, and post-COVID syndrome. He has published hundreds of scientific articles, abstracts, and book chapters, and frequently presents his research regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Paterson DI, Wiebe N, Cheung WY, Mackey J, Pituskin E, Reiman A, Tonelli M. Incident cardiovascular disease among adults with cancer: a population-based cohort study. JACC: CardioOncology 2022 Mar 15;4(1):85-94.
- Kirkham AA, Pituskin E, Thompson RB, Mackey JR, Koshman SL, Jassal D, Pitz M, Haykowsky MJ, Pagano JJ, Chow K, Tsui AK, Ezekowitz JA, Oudit GY, Paterson DI. Cardiac and Cardiometabolic Phenotyping of Trastuzumab-Mediated Cardiotoxicity: a Secondary Analysis of the MANTICORE trial. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Pharmacother. 2022 Feb 16;8(2):130-139. doi: 10.1093/ehjcvp/pvab016.
- Primary Panel: D. Ian Paterson, White JA, Butler CR, Connelly KA, Guerra PG, Hill MD, James MT, Kirpalani A, Lydell CP, Roifman I, Sarak B, Sterns LD, Verma A, Wan D; Secondary Panel, Crean AM, Grosse-Wortmann L, Hanneman K, Leipsic J, Manlucu J, Nguyen ET, Sandhu RK, Villemaire C, Wald RM, Windram J. 2021 Update on Safety of Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Joint Statement From Canadian Cardiovascular Society/Canadian Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance/Canadian Heart Rhythm Society. Can J Cardiol. 2021 Jun;37(6):835-847. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2021.02.012.
- Paterson DI, Wells G, Erthal F, Mielniczuk L, O'Meara E, White J, Connelly KA, Knuuti J, Rajda M, Laine M, Chow BJW, Kandolin R, Chen L, Dick A, Dennie C, Garrard L, Ezekowitz J, Beanlands R, Chan KL; IMAGE-HF 1B investigators. OUTSMART HF: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Routine Versus Selective Cardiac Magnetic Resonance for Patients with Non-Ischemic Heart Failure (IMAGE-HF 1B). Circulation. 2020 Mar 10;141(10):818-827. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.119.043964. Epub 2020 Jan 8.
- Thompson RB, Chow K, Pagano JJ, Sekowski V, Michelakis ED, Tymchak W, Haykowsky MJ Ezekowitz JA, Oudit GY, Dyck JRB, Kaul P, Savu A, Paterson DI. Quantification of lung water in heart failure using cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2019 Sep 12;21(1):58.
- Pituskin E, Mackey JR, Koshman S, Jassal D, Pitz M, Haykowsky MJ, Pagano JJ, Chow K, Thompson RB, Oudit GY, Ezekowitz, JA, Paterson DI. Multidisciplinary Approach to Novel Therapies in Cardio-Oncology Research: (MANTICORE 101 – Breast): a Randomized Trial for the Prevention of Trastuzumab Associated Cardiotoxicity. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Mar 10;35(8):870-877.